Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Browner Tells Teammates to Target Injured Sherman and Thomas

Brandon Browner said he will tell his New England Patriots teammates to try to hurt injured Seahawks Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman during the Super Bowl.

"I didn't know he said that, but we don't play like that," Wright said Monday. "We don't go out there and try to hurt guys. And I don't care if they do have an injury. We're not going out there trying to hurt people, and especially guys you're close to. If he said that, it's fine, but that's not our main focus."

Thomas suffered a separated shoulder in the NFC Championship and Sherman suffered a sprained elbow ligament. Both men are expected to play on Sunday.

Browner, in an interview with ESPN's Josina Anderson, called Thomas and Sherman tough, referring to Sherman's injury and how at the end of the game "he was holding his arm like he had a sling on it."

"But at the end of the day, this is about the Super Bowl," Browner said. "I'm gonna tell my teammates, 'Go hit that elbow. Go hit that shoulder. Most definitely. Try to break it if you can.' You're gonna be my best friend after the game, but I know you want the Super Bowl just as bad as I do."

ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12232930/kj-wright-seattle-seahawks-disappointed-brandon-browner-new-england-patriots-plans-target-injured-ex-teammates

Just when you think the Seahawks are the villains of the NFL, you get stories like these that are a bit cringe-worthy from the Patriots. Maybe I am just naive... Because I am sure stuff like this gets talked about in locker rooms and what have you, but it just seems like poor form.

Ya.. You go out there and play, and play hard. If an injury / re-injury occurs, that's the nature of the beast and you move on. You don't cater to the injuries or let them feel comfortable if you are the Patriots, but... I dunno, these comments seem a bit over the line.

Edited by Favre4Ever

This seems eerily similar to the "we're only gonna score 17 points" comment. Can't imagine the Patriots getting out of this game unscathed.

This is not new. Players from other teams target injuries. They just don't say it straight up

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 2

This is not new. Players from other teams target injuries. They just don't say it straight up

QFT, I doubt any of the Patriots players need to be told to do this, and it's not like anyone's going to do anything real obvious, but players will take shots when they can, blockers might hit them on the injured side more often than the non-injured side, Brady will no doubt be targeting the two to see what they're actually capable of while playing injured, the only real "story" in this is that someone was dumb enough to say it publicly

• Upvote 1

I think Bill will definitely test those two. Throw some screens that way and see if they can wrap up and whatnot. However, you saw Earl put that thing in a sling and then was still able to do this to Eddie Lacy. An 80% Earl Thomas is still a top 10 safety in the league. I think people will be pleasantly surprised and what the match ups bring to the table.

sitlacy.0.gif

God I miss Browner. One of my all time favorite Seahawks. Even if he's a Pat now, I love his approach for the game.

Wouldn't expect anything less from him. He was such a core contributor to how Seattle wanted to become a dominant physical team. Looking forward to a physical slobberknocker of a SB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't really have a problem with him thinking this way because most players do but what a dumb thing to say to the media in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

NopeGIF.gif

Nothing to see here. Players go after players injuries more than what people think...just few players are this open about it.

The only part of the comment I had a problem with is "Try to break it if you can". He never suggested intentionally injuring a player aside from that. If a player plays hurt, you definitely go at them. You try to exploit the team's weakness, which is a weak player or injured player. But saying to break the arm if you can.. that's over the line.

Edit- Trying to further clarify my point.. The difference between going at an injured player is you're trying to use that player's injury to your advantage by going after the weak point in that team. When you say try to break it if you can you're straight up saying you're targeting that specific injury, on that specific player, trying to injure them more.

Edited by badgers