Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Sherman May Miss The Superbowl

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Miss The Superbowl To Be At The Birth Of Your Child?

• Yes
    • No

So apparently Richard Sherman's girlfriend, who is pregnant, is due sometime this week. With the outbreak of child measles in Arizona hospitals, and an uncertain due date it is a possibility that Sherman could miss the Superbowl if he decides to attend the birth instead. This is a very real scenario and a very interesting decision would have to be made that could affect both teams greatly.

How would you feel about a Patriots' victory with no Sherman?

How would you feel if he decided to play instead of going to the birth?

How would this change the legacy of Sherman?

http://nesn.com/2015/01/richard-sherman-girlfriend-expecting-son-during-super-bowl-week/

There would be way too much guilt associated with abandoning the journey for a birth that will likely go decent, without complications, and result in a healthy baby and mother. Go play the game. You might not get another chance.

Any old game? Yeah. Skip it. This is another scenario. This is a lifetime opportunity. Yes, he has one ring. This might be his only chance at a second one.

Unless there is near certainly that the birth will involve complications, you can't miss that kind of opportunity.

Look, I'm all for family first, but to skip the Super Bowl would weigh too much on his mind.

• Upvote 1

How would you feel about a Patriots' victory with no Sherman?

No different than if they won with Sherman playing. They cannot control who plays for the Seahawks, so why "penalize" them for it?

How would you feel if he decided to play instead of going to the birth?

Eh... He wouldn't be the first guy to miss their child's birth. I don't see it as big of a deal as others. I might come off as sounding shitty, but I'd play in the Super Bowl. The kid won't remember him being there or not. He'd be able to see the kid immediately after the game.

How would this change the legacy of Sherman?

It doesn't in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

It would be incredibly un Sherman-like for him to miss a Super Bowl. If it were a regular season game I would have the complete opposite opinion. I'd be shocked if he misses it. It's not like men missing the birth of their children for other obligations is a foreign thing. Obviously they rush to the scene as soon as possible and get there within a few hours. Military deployed folks obviously do it over skype and whatnot. I would hope if it happens like right during the game, that he plays the full game, and then skips the post game celebration (even if its a victory) and has a ride waiting for him outside to rush him to the delivery room immediately thereafter. In fact, that would be kinda Disney-esque and awesome.

With newborn babies, it's obviously crying for all the messy parts of it, but the best part of the births that I've witnessed happens around 30 minutes after the birth. For a little while at least, once the babies have calmed down after the end of the birth, they remain wide awake, yet dead silent, calm, and wide-eyed, observing the new world and the first sight and connections with the people in the room. It truly is a divine moment, and I have to believe Sherman would have more than enough time to at least be there for that first special family moment together (as long as the labor doesn't happen to start like at 2pm, in which case he might be kind of screwed), even if he can't be there to encourage his partner through the brutal parts of the actually giving birth.

Edited by BC
  • Upvote 1

0% chance he doesn't play for that reason

Surprised at the reaction on TGP. I thought I was one of the only ones who would think it's acceptable to skip the birth. Everyone on the radio and TV is dismissing the idea of playing in the game as if it isn't a choice. They keep saying the child is more important than a game. A) This is more than just "a game" it's thee game B) The child is more important, but this is just the birth. What is important is what you do as a father from that day on.

He'd obviously be ducking Revis.

But I'm pretty sure I've heard players have missed the birth of their children for regular season games. I don't think his kid would mind if he wasn't present....due to playing in the super bowl.

Edited by BJORN

I don't think his team mates would be to happy Earl Thomas missed the birth of his daughter for a regular season game.

• Upvote 1

You can have a child whenever, a super bowl is a rare opportunity.

• Upvote 1

maybe I'm old fashioned, but does anyone else find it somewhat disingenuous to hear people talk about his dedication to family when it's his girlfriend that's pregnant?

• Upvote 1

Marriage is for weenies. Are you a weenie, oochymp?!

Think about it from the child's perspective, too.

15 years from now, he would be sitting at his high school cafeteria for lunch, and say "My dad helped his team win the Super Bowl on the day I was born!"

He should absolutely play.