Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Update: Browns sign Josh McCown to 3-year deal

Buccaneers release quarterback Josh McCown

By Marc Sessler: Around the NFL Writer

The Josh McCown experiment is one and done in Tampa Bay.
The Buccaneers on Wednesday released the veteran quarterback after just one up-and-down season with the team.
McCown started 11 games in 2014, throwing 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions after signing a two-year, $10 million contract with the Bucs in March. NFL Media's Albert Breer noted that the deal was a pay-as-you-go pact -- devoid of a signing bonus -- meaning Tampa won't suffer a cap hit for releasing the 35-year-old journeyman. The move saves the Bucs more than $4 million in cap space.
McCown threw for just 2,206 yards on a two-win Bucs squad that never found its way on offense after first-year coordinator Jeff Tedford took an indefinite leave from the team for health reasons in September. McCown was brutalized behind a shoddy Tampa line that gave up an outrageous 52 sacks on the year, third most in the NFL.
Bucs letting go of a top ten QB :troll:
Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

You beat me to my own joke. :(

That makes this thread mostly worthless.

I'm guessing he retires, but I could see him following Trestman to Baltimore and backup Flacco if he doesn't.

Give McCown Glennon's job, get #1 pick, fire McCown, then get QB of future while Glennon sits? Fuck yourself Lovie.

They'll be happy if you give up a third rounder for him, Chern. Bengals should get on the blower.

Why should Lovie owe Glennon anything? He hasn't earned a starting job. I think he's better than McCown, but that isn't a glowing endorsement.

Why should Lovie owe Glennon anything?

Because Glennon was the starter from the previous season; and Lovie gave him no chance to hold his job. Even before working with Glennon he declared McCown as his guy. While I think bringing in McCown was not necessarily a bad move, it was unfair to immediately cast him as the starter. Glennon is no franchise QB, but Lovie fucked him over hard. I'd be willing to bet that if Glennon started all 16, the Bucs would not be picking #1. It's just salt into the wound for Lovie to start McCown whenever possible, then cut him as the season ends. Glennon will get no fair shot against the QB the Bucs take at #1. When Lovie fails again and again, and the QB taken #1 gets the bust label, Glennon will quietly sit behind him and waste away his talent.

Fuck Lovie's decisions.

• Downvote 1

Why does Glennon deserve a fair shot against anyone? He deserves NOTHING, and he is owed NOTHING. Lovie didn't draft the dude and has no reason to put faith into him as a long term starter. He didn't earn the starting job and while he should've stayed out there after McCown went down, the season was lost and I have bigger concerns with the team than getting Glennon on the field.

• Upvote 1

Mike Glennon will probably continue the tradition of Tampa quarterbacks that go on the find success elsewhere. Doug Williams, Steve Young, Trent Dilfer, Vinny Testaverde? :shrug:

Did Dilfer REALLY have success after leaving Tampa? I know he won a Super Bowl with Baltimore but they pretty much cut him the next day rofl.

I don't get why some people are on Glennon's dick, if you actually watched him play you would see how uninspiring he is. He has some poor accuracy and footwork IMO. He does have an arm and is capable of doing positive things, I just don't see how any team would want to invest in him as a starter. Dude screams backup all the way.

• Upvote 1

Yea, not sure why people think Glennon is so good. I agree that Lovie shouldn't have named McCown the starter right when they signed him, but Glennon did not impress at all in the pre-season/few regular season ages and showed a lot of the same issues he had his rookie season. He had a shot to step up and take the job from McCown when he went down, but fell flat on his face after the Saints game.

Brandon Weeden might be the best QB the Browns have had in the past three years...

Brandon Weeden might be the best QB the Browns have had in the past three years...

I thought Thad Lewis made that timeline?

It seems like McCown has played for every franchise with severe QBs issues in the league.

There are few things the Browns could have done to get worse. Signing Josh McCown was one of them.

• Upvote 1

Wait, so you pass on Hoyer and you sign McCown? Who likely, was coming at the same asking price as Hoyer, or close. There are reasons why the Browns have been where they have the past 10 years.

They have been, are, and will continue to be one of the worst run franchises in sports history. Everybody is good at something, and the Browns are the best at being incompetent losers.

Yeah, this move has Cleveland Browns written all over it lol. Say hello to the 23rd QB to start for then since 1999. Then don't be surprised if #24 starts shortly thereafter. This t team is a train wreck under center. Have been ever since Belichick fired Kosar.

Yippee. It's almost like we shouldn't even go to camp at all with anyone behind the helm. Shit, Hoyer is better this player. I would have been ok with Sam Bradford even knowing his history.

This franchise will never turn around unless we get a beast (Matt Ryan and up) quality QB. We'll be forever stuck in the lower end of mediocrity if we're lucky.