Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Dolphins trade Mike Wallace to the Vikings

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins have placed Mike Wallace on the trade block.
What often happens in these scenarios is a player gets cut if the team trying to trade him can't find any takers. GM Dennis Hickey dined with Wallace before the Combine, and it sounds like that meeting didn't end with the Dolphins believing Wallace was an essential part of their 2015 plans. The 28-year-old scored ten TDs in 2014, but lid lifting is the true strength of Wallace's game, which makes him a poor fit for vertically-challenged Ryan Tannehill. Owed $9.9 million in salary and bonuses, Wallace is going to be awfully difficult to trade. Feb 25 - 8:18 PM
Source: NFL.com

No one is going to take that 10 million cap hit along with some apparent locker room issues. If he hits the market though, suitors will be lined up and despite his character issues, I wouldn't care if the Eagles took a look at him for a reasonable price. I have soft spot for burners; receivers with that elite speed that can take the top off a defense any given play. Utilized correctly, I think only Desean Jackson is the more dangerous burner in the league. Wallace still had a solid season despite Tannehill's inability to throw the ball deep. His talents are being wasted in Miami.

He has benched himself multiple times , and that simply isn't something I would tolerate. IF you can get him for cheap (not in a trade, lol). IF you can make sure he gets 10+ balls a game. IF you can massage his ego. IF you can get him to play nice with teammates and coaches. Sure, you take that risk. Don't know if it will be worth the effort in the long run though.

He has benched himself multiple times , and that simply isn't something I would tolerate. IF you can get him for cheap (not in a trade, lol). IF you can make sure he gets 10+ balls a game. IF you can massage his ego. IF you can get him to play nice with teammates and coaches. Sure, you take that risk. Don't know if it will be worth the effort in the long run though.

I think it comes down to the organization. The right organization can sometimes work things out and find out how to deal with / mold players. If Mike Wallace went to a team like the Patriots, no way would he pull a card like that.

Who wants a player who makes himself expendable every time he opens his mouth?

Absolutely. And I don't think there is any team more equipped to deal with an ego and personality like Wallaces' than the Patriots. However, even they can't 'fix' everyone. Some guys are just far too into themselves to buy into that kind of atmosphere. I honestly think Wallace is too far gone. Can and will he still produce? More than likely... I just don't know if all the effort you have to put in to keep him happy will be worth the production -- no matter how great he is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474535/article/report-mike-wallace-not-willing-to-rework-contract

Report: Mike Wallace not willing to rework contract

The Mike Wallace question persists for the Miami Dolphins: What to do with the overpaid, malcontent wide receiver?

While NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports of the Dolphins shopping Wallace, the wideout has no plans to rework his contract to remain with the team.

The Miami Sun-Sentinel reported Thursday that, according to unnamed sources, Wallace has told the Dolphins he will not restructure the final three years and $32.9 million remaining on his five-year, $60 million contract signed in 2013.

According to the Sun-Sentinel, Wallace, displeased with the conservative nature of the team's offense, would rather test the free-agent market than re-work the details of his contract.

It's an eye-blinker to read that Wallace might believe he could come anywhere close to earning nearly the $9.9 million due in 2015 on the open market given his locker room concerns, middling play the past two seasons and a deep free-agent pool and a draft. When other owners, like theRavens' Steve Bisciotti -- unprovoked -- are using your contract to explain overpaying, it's not a good thing.

"Mike Wallace got $10 million," Bisciotti said this week, "I don't think anyone thinks that was a good deal."

The Dolphins would save $6.9 million on the cap with $5.2 million in dead money this season by cutting Wallace with a post-June 1 designation, per OverTheCap.com.

Have things gotten so bad in Miami that Wallace would rather risk getting less on the open market than he would in a restructure?

New executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum isn't giving away what road he'll take at the moment.

"Mike is a guy who is under contract for now. We're discussing all our options," Tannenbaum told WINZ-AM on Thursday. "Coach (Joe) Philbin, (owner Steve) Ross, Dennis (Hickey) and myself, we've talked. For now Mike is under contract, and we'll see where things go from there."

There are four options: Wallace can play under his current contract for one more year (when he becomes immensely more cuttable); be traded; be cut; or restructure his contract. If he doesn't want to do the latter, cutting him might become the best option for the Dolphins.

Pretty sure everyone saw this coming.

Edited by Dutch

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports Mike Wallace will "likely" be traded to the Vikings.
Salguero reports Wallace has been on the phone with the Vikings for over an hour. After acquiring Kenny Stills earlier Friday, the Dolphins placed Wallace on the trade block for at least the second time this offseason. This time it appears they have found a taker. The Vikings are in need of playmakers around second-year QB Teddy Bridgewater, and Wallace would form a dangerous combination with 2014 revelation Charles Johnson. Mar 13 - 6:47 PM
Edited by BLUE

Heard he was traded for a 5th round pick. Not excited for his salary, though.

Edited by OSUViking

Teddy will have Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson (if utilized properly) and Kyle Rudolph to throw the ball to. That's not a bad receiving core at all. Teddy definitely has some nice targets now. If the Vikings decide to keep A.P, defenses having to put 8 in the box with Mike Wallace on the outside... Watch out. Vikes need to really focus on defense in the draft and their team could improve substantially.

Teddy will have Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson (if utilized properly) and Kyle Rudolph to throw the ball to. That's not a bad receiving core at all.

Don't forget about Charles Johnson!

Seems like the Vikings are shopping Patterson. I'd imagine someone is gong to get cut. I'm still not too sold on this move, really. I'll let it play out before I condemn it.

I remember when Wallace was a FA a few years ago and the Vikings were in the bidding war. But the reason he choose Miami is because he didn't play somewhere cold. Lol

• Upvote 1

I remember when Wallace was a FA a few years ago and the Vikings were in the bidding war. But the reason he choose Miami is because he didn't play somewhere cold. Lol

And they aren't even playing in a dome right now... :laugh:

I don't like the release of Jennings considering how well he played with Teddy, but Greg certainly wasn't worth the money he was going to be owed.

Bring back Charles Johnson and Adam Theilen. Make Cordy earn everything.

Remember in FA when Wallace told Vikes to fuck off despite bigger offer than Miami? Lol.