Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

MJD retiring

Per Rotoworld.com:

Maurice Jones-Drew is retiring from the NFL after nine seasons.
This is a tough one. MJD was a shell of his former self the past two seasons, but retires as one of the best runners of his generation, and as a fantasy football hall-of-famer. A diminutive 5-foot-7, 210 pounds, MJD ran with the power of a bull during his prime, and was one of the game's best pass-catching backs. Even despite his rough 2013-14 seasons, Jones-Drew heads into retirement the owner of a career 4.4 YPC. He scored 79 touchdowns across 126 games. Already a dabbler in the media, MJD should be sticking around on television and radio. Mar 5 - 4:49 PM

Not even 30 yet. Man...

I never quite felt anything for MJD. I probably didn't give him the recognition he deserved being the only factor down there in Jacksonville but he did have a nice run for a couple of seasons. In those seasons, he did play well but for some reason he never quite appealed to me. I always felt as though there were at least 4 guys better than him while other people claimed he was the best in the league :shrug: He's done pretty early running out of gas before 30 but I still wish him the best.

Edited by Dutch

Del Rio ran him into the ground :sigh:

Del Rio came back and MJD was like, "Fuck this."

He'll be a natural as an "analyst." Please take Warren Sapp's spot.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 1

Kinda with Dutch, actually. I don't think I ever really appreciated how good MJD was back in the day. Good luck to him though in whatever he decides to do next, or if it actually is being an analyst or what have you.

Heh... at this point, my opinion definitely feels validated seeing as though basically all the guys I had ahead of him have (or will wind up having) longer and better careers than him seeing as though he's done already at 29. Kind of one of those I told you so moments... :smug:

Edited by Dutch

Got to give it to MJD, he was a true workhorse for the Jags and had put up consistently good yards. It's a shame that he wasn't as protected as he should have been as MJD was probably one of the most interesting and dynamic RB's in recent years for me anyway.

I have always thought highly of him and tbh will never forget the "lightsout" hit on Merriman.

• Upvote 1

As much as he was talked about and the reputation he built, it's weird when you look back and see he had only about 3 great seasons.

Got to give it to MJD, he was a true workhorse for the Jags and had put up consistently good yards. It's a shame that he wasn't as protected as he should have been as MJD was probably one of the most interesting and dynamic RB's in recent years for me anyway.

I have always thought highly of him and tbh will never forget the "lightsout" hit on Merriman.

He may have only had 3 good years or so, but man he gave it his all. He gave everything he had to Jacksonville, the Jags, and their fans. It just so happened he couldn't give it as long as other guys around the league.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. One thing I can say is that MJD definitely had heart.

I enjoyed watching MJD. One of the reasons I caught on to football. Kinda sucks he's done already. Imo he was the best RB to use in madden 07.

Edited by McTater

As much as he was talked about and the reputation he built, it's weird when you look back and see he had only about 3 great seasons.

Because we had Fred Taylor.

Yeah.. I think I held onto Fred Taylor so MJD could never quite replace him for me. Fred Taylor was one of my favorite players and was incredibly underrated during his time in the NFL. To see the recognition MJD got and Fred Taylor was far superior to him is an injustice lol.

MJD on my TV. :notbad:

Enjoyed watching him return those kickoffs for TDs. I think those injuries affected his performance though. But he'll always be Pocket Hercules to me. I even made a highlight reel, but that was back when YouTube was taking down every video left and right.

EDIT: shit, F4E beat me to it, and with a better clip :dry:

Edited by oochymp

He was a top 3 RB for a handful of years. Would love to see him in a Michael Strahan type media role.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Maurice Jones-Drew will sign a one-day contract with Jacksonville on Tuesday in order to retire as a Jaguar.
One of the best runners of his generation, Jones-Drew was a dynamic all-purpose offensive force during his time with the Jaguars. He racked up almost 11,000 yards from scrimmage during his eight years in Jacksonville, including a 1,980-total yard, 11-touchdown season in 2011. A fantasy football Hall of Famer, Jones-Drew scored 79 touchdowns across 126 career games. Apr 25 - 11:33 AM
  • Upvote 1

MJD probably could have had way bigger numbers with just a more creative offensive coordinator, let alone a better supporting cast. Makes sense as to why he would want to hold out a couple years ago. Just another reminder that RB's can go from elite to fighting for roster spots. Guys who run like Marshawn Lynch and Frank Gore, that last long are exceedingly rare. Sucks these guys put their bodies and their health on the line and get dicked around by the teams the lay it all on the line for. I mean, granted, they're playing for money, but still. In a perfect world these guys would get their money but RB's are probably only going to make less and less.

I loved the MJD (who then I only knew as Maurice Drew with the dreads) pick when we made it because I noticed him a lot that year as Reggie Bush got all the hype. I knew he wasn't too small for the league because of his build. But never did I think he'd become the type of RB he did in the NFL. Whew. Not a long career but impressive none the less.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

His career would have been a lot more impressive if he wasn't fighting for carries behind Fred Taylor for three years. As a Texans fan, MJD in his prime was downright scary as fuck!

If at any point in his career MJD would've had consistent QB play and an above average o-line at the same time, I think he would be regarded as one of the best ever. If he could've gotten on an offense where he wasn't the only working cog, the conversation about his career would be much, much different.