Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Eagles and Rams swap Bradford and Foles

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

Eagles acquired QB Sam Bradford and a 2015 fifth-round pick from the Rams in exchange for QB Nick Foles, a 2015 fourth-round pick, and a 2016 second-round pick.

Stunning. If Bradford starts less than 50 percent of the games this season, the Eagles will also get a 2016 fourth-round pick. If he gets injured and doesn't play at all, the Eagles will receive a 2016 third-rounder. The Eagles are taking on a player significantly more expensive and injury prone than Foles. Bradford has more pure arm talent than Foles, but isn't necessarily more accurate. It's another bold, polarizing move from coach/GM Chip Kelly. For what it's worth, Bradford will be reuniting with his rookie-year coordinator Pat Shurmur. If he can stay on the field a colossal "if" he'll have breakout potential in Philly, but Rams fans have heard that chorus for years. He'll battle Mark Sanchez in camp. It's unclear what, if any, effect this will have on Philly's rumored pursuit of Marcus Mariota.

Surprised there wasn't a thread made for this yesterday. What do y'all think about this trade?

Seems pretty terrible to me. I mean, I was finally starting to come up on Bradford a little, so I suppose it could have been worse... But wasn't Foles like 14 - 4 or something as a starter in Philly? Had one of the best TD:INT ratios... Ya, he took a step back last year and has injury concerns. But Bradford brings the same injury concerns, meh play, and is much more expensive.

At the very best it seems like Philly made a lateral move while paying their QB a lot more money and giving away draft picks. Just doesn't make sense to me. Actually pretty shocked that Bradford was able to pull in a haul of that size. What justifies that on top of his salary?

Edited by Favre4Ever

Bradford's in the last year of his deal, meaning he'll probably sign an extension soon and his salary won't be an issue (I'd expect a lot of playing time incentives)

What kind of money are you expecting him to sign for? Not that it matters, because Bradford and his agent still think he is worth what he is getting. He refused to take less money in St. Louis. His agent said they could find a team willing to pay his salary. They called up the Eagles and boom, deal. An extension might be coming, but Bradford will be making his money this year regardless.

I guess I haven't really been following the talk about Bradford, maybe he is willing to sit through a contract year, and if he does stay healthy and play well for 16 games he will get a better contract next offseason than he would now, it's worth noting that the Eagles aren't in trouble against the cap and there is a salary floor as well as a cap, so maybe Kelly is that confident in him, I mean the only question mark on Bradford really is the injury history

Edited by oochymp

Not sure what the plan is here

I think the play here is... Chip really misses the college game but doesn't want to just quit.

One of the worst trades in Philadelphia sports history if this is Chip's end game at the QB position.

An to top it off Chip has come out and said today that they are not gambling away there future for Mariota despite him being the best QB in the draft.

#BRADFORDTOCOOPERTHEREALITY

One of the worst trades in Philadelphia sports history if this is Chip's end game at the QB position.

How would you feel if they use Bradford as a bargaining chip to move up and draft Mariota?

How would you feel if they use Bradford as a bargaining chip to move up and draft Mariota?

but how good of a bargaining chip is Bradford?

but how good of a bargaining chip is Bradford?

:shrug:

But if you take Chip Kelly's words as truth, he's said he's already been offered a first round pick from multiple suitors for Bradford.

:shrug:

But if you take Chip Kelly's words as truth, he's said he's already been offered a first round pick from multiple suitors for Bradford.

fair enough, though I have trouble believing the Rams wouldn't have taken that instead of dealing with Philly, unless they really wanted Foles

I have no idea what's going on other than maybe teams don't know how to evaluate QBs?

• Upvote 2

This is all based on Chip Kelly's background and belief in his sports science department and the work they do in Philly on preventing injuries with their workouts and nutrient shakes tailored for each player. He believes 100% not only can they rehab Bradford better than ever, but they can also prevent him from future major injury.

• Upvote 1

Even if he is fully healthy, I am not sure it works out that well. Lol.

Oh I don't agree with this trade at all lol.

Just throwing one perspective out there.

I don't know whether to laugh or be worried. Chip must really trust his rehab treatments. Kiko, Bradford, Thurmond, Matthews all had pretty lengthy injuries last year.

Chip Kelly has gone 20-12 with Michael Vick, Nick Foles, and Mark Sanchez, but I don't see objective evidence for Sam Bradford being better than any of those guys. So I don't see the Eagles taking a big step forward this year. We still suck.

What kind of money are you expecting him to sign for? Not that it matters, because Bradford and his agent still think he is worth what he is getting. He refused to take less money in St. Louis. His agent said they could find a team willing to pay his salary. They called up the Eagles and boom, deal. An extension might be coming, but Bradford will be making his money this year regardless.

Who in their right minds would take less money to play in St. Louis? Do you blame him lol? The Eagles are currently working on restructuring his contract now.

I've been on record saying that I like Braford and I'm still stand by it.

I like Braford. I think if he actually had some offensive weapons (receivers) he would fare way better. He's never had much to work with. The Rams have a lot of picks. I'd love to see the Rams surround him with talent.

Braford holds leverage here. They have no other QBs and don't pick in the draft until 10 if they wanted to roll the dice on Mariota. The risk in that is that he might be gone at the Jets at pick #6. I'm probably the only lone believer in Sam. I think if he could stay healthy, he could be a productive QB in this league. Too bad he's made out of glass.

From a talent perspective, I think Braford has the tools to be a successful QB in this league. He has the arm talent. I've seen him drop passes in windows, go through his progressions, can be cerebral making quick good decisions and isn't bad in the pocket from a mobility stand point. Going to stress I mean mobility inside the pocket. I've seen some great glimpses from Braford but never was sustainable due to injury or his WR's completely disappearing.

Here is a video of Brafords throws pass 15 yards:

Not really mad at the Foles trade. Rewatching the film of this past season, Foles was an entirely different QB from 2013. He made horrible decisions, had bad mechanics, and was very inaccurate missing wide open throws that a NFL starter should be able to make. His vision was really bad and missed the open guy more often then not. Chip obviously saw something in Foles that makes him believe he's not the guy going forward.

We traded one injury prone QB for a more injury prone QB. Definitely a risk, but as a I stated earlier, I think Braford has all the tools to be successful "if" he's healthy and has more upside than Foles. Anyway, Chip will fix him with sports science and smoothies :cool:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from the Pro Day circuit that "some coaches" around the league are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall, where Chip Kelly could select Marcus Mariota. Kelly's affinity for Mariota is well known. Kelly has shown he isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do. We also wouldn't rule out a trade up to No. 1 overall. Bradford's pocket-passer style would fit well in new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter's offense.

I'd rather not get Bradford, we just finished dealing with one injury prone QB, I'm not interested at all in acquiring another, I'm gonna be pissed if Bradford is anything more than a minor piece of a trade for the #2 pick, that said, if he's just a throw in I don't think he'd be a bad player to bring in as far as getting some competition for Mettenberger, I would hope Mettenberger would win it, but he hasn't shown enough to just be handed the starting role at this point so I do want to see us bring in some real competition (ie, someone other than Clipboard Jesus)

I think it's more likely that Kelly ships Bradford to the Browns for an extra 1st round pick and uses that as ammo to a team like the Titans.