Sign in to follow this  
DBR96A

Five teams have run the AFC for the last 20 years

Not really crazy when you look at the QBs of each team.

Patriots - Brady

Steelers - Roethlisberger(And O'Donnell, I guess, though he was supported by a great defense, and himself was pretty decent before the playoffs rolled around)

Broncos - Elway and Manning(And one year where Plummer played decently and they got to the AFCCG)

Ravens - All-time great D in 00 and Flacco playing like an elite QB in the post season

Colts - Manning and Luck

And looking at the two other AFC teams to have success

Titans - McNair in his prime had 4 playoff appearances in 5 years, 2 AFCCG appearances. Without him, barely sneaking in to the playoffs in 07 and a great defense/run game combo netted us a good season in 08.

Raiders - Gannon 3 straight playoff appearances in his prime. Without him, nothing.

The Bengals, Bills, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jaguars, Jets and Texans in the last 20 years? Carson Palmer had a single elite season before getting hurt, had a couple decent years after that for them, but nothing worth noting. Chargers have had some success with Brees and Rivers, though their failures in the playoffs have been for reasons outside of QB play..like Kaeding missing game winning or tying field goals on numerous occasions. Chiefs had Trent Green for a couple seasons, and he was good, but they had no real threats at receiver outside of Gonzalez at TE and their D was trash. Jaguars had Brunell and saw 2 AFC title game appearances with his play combined with their solid D. Jets had Chad Pennington but he couldn't stay healthy long enough to string together a ton of success. Texans had Schaub who was decent, but they had to be carried by great defenses to the playoffs in a very weak AFC South.

So not too surprising when you look at the QB situations.

Browns, Texans, and Jaguars were also brand new teams during the last 20 years. I might be wrong but I don't think the Texans, Jaguars, or New Browns have been around for 20 years.

Browns, Texans, and Jaguars were also brand new teams during the last 20 years. I might be wrong but I don't think the Texans, Jaguars, or New Browns have been around for 20 years.

Jaguars joined in 1995, so they're right at 20 years, Texans started in 2002, so they're at about 13, and the Browns restarted in 1999, so they're at about 16 years, but that's not really a short enough time to completely excuse the teams when you consider that the Panthers also started in 1995 and made the playoffs in 1996 and a Super Bowl in 2003

Jaguars joined in 1995, so they're right at 20 years, Texans started in 2002, so they're at about 13, and the Browns restarted in 1999, so they're at about 16 years, but that's not really a short enough time to completely excuse the teams when you consider that the Panthers also started in 1995 and made the playoffs in 1996 and a Super Bowl in 2003

Also worth noting the Jags went to the AFC title game in just their second year, and after a 4-12 first season, made the playoffs 4 times in a row.

Tom Coughlin da gawd.