Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Shady: " Buffalo Feels Like NFL. Chip Doesn't Respect Star Players "

LeSean McCoy hasn't been in Buffalo for long. But after one day of offseason training, he already notices a difference around the Bills facility.

"Here is more of a NFL type of feel," McCoy told NFL Media's Kimberly Jones on NFL Network's NFL Total Access. "Being with Coach (Andy) Reid for so long ... you get used to that. A player's coach. An NFL type of atmosphere in the locker room and around the facility. And for two years in Philly it wasn't like that as much. Not in a negative way, but it was different. It was more like a college feel.

McCoy joked he only had two years at the University of Pittsburgh, so playing under Chip Kelly was like making up for lost time. He said players in an atmosphere like Buffalo under Rex Ryan are free to let their personality show.

While there are questions whether McCoy was a true fit for Kelly's offense, the running back believes the bigger issue is that he his star shone too brightly.

"I don't think he likes or respects the stars. I'm being honest," McCoy said Monday, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I think he likes the fact that it's 'Chip Kelly and the Eagles.' ... It was 'DeSean Jackson -- a high-flying, take-off-the-top-of-the-defense receiver.' Or 'The quick, elusive LeSean McCoy. I don't think (Kelly) likes that."

We know Kelly won't love these comments, and can't wait to show that the Eagles have upgraded at running back when Buffalo travels to Philadelphia this season.

NFL.com

Butta posted this in the shoutbox. I thought it would be a good conversation piece though. These aren't any light comments, imo. Dude just kinda railroads Chip and the Eagles but then kinda plays it off as a joke of sorts -- kinda like he did when he talked Frank Gore out of signing in Philly.

It really doesn't sound like Chip has a sterling report with players. It's not a necessity, but I think there has to be a certain level of mutual respect to win in today's NFL. And this generation of people and more specifically NFL players is a little softer than what it was back in the day.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Who gives the slightest shit? More coaches need to not give a fuck what your name is and treat just like anybody else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Who gives the slightest shit? More coaches need to not give a fuck what your name is and treat just like anybody else.

I don't think Shady's point is... Hey, I am a star, give me special treatment. I think it's more about thinking about others and ya know... Sometimes putting them before yourself. Obviously we all have our own personal goals and aspirations. But in a job where you are supposed to be leading other people and instructing them along the way? You need to show a general interest in them...

At the same time, Shady's point is negated by Philadelphia signing a better running back.

Money talks though. Murray left because he was being lowballed by Dallas. Philly offered him the contract he deserved, and he hasn't been treated like shit by them yet.

The NFL is tough because it has always been about balancing egos. Tom Landry might have been a hardass, but the 70's Cowboys had their fair share of characters. Joe Gibbs and the 80s-90s Redskins, there is a fine line between being a gruff asshole and still respecting the players who got you there.

Please made BUF vs PHI primetime :smug:

At the same time, Shady's point is negated by Philadelphia signing a better running back.

2cd3r8.jpg

I've always appreciated Shady's production and effort on the field. I never seemed to care when he opens his mouth though. Imbecilic things usually come out. Shady was one of those players where you smile when you see him make plays on the field. However, outside the game before he spoke, you would cringe. Then after he spoke the inevitable face palm would follow. Then you would ignore it and try to act as though he didn't say anything.

Clearly though, this is Shady's hurt ego talking more than anything. McCoy always had a stint of arrogance to him. Not quite as bad as Desean though. And if I've picked up anything from Chip's character, he doesn't seem to want "individual me" type players who think they are bigger than the team. Basically players with egos which consisted of him and Desean.

Maclin was a star last year and the only reason he's gone is because the Chiefs outbid us and overpaid him. Chip tried to keep Maclin and Maclin had nothing but nice things to say about Chip and the Eagles organization. Shady is showing exactly why he was expendable. Money and running style played a big part in it but I'm sure his attitude made the decision a lot easier. I don't care what anybody says.

Edited by Dutch

Winning cures everything. If Chip Kelly produces, everyone will laugh off his extremely active free agency moves and "college atmosphere." Philly fans aren't well known to be the forgiving type, so let's hope for Chip's sake that he wins early with "his" team.

I don't think Shady's point is... Hey, I am a star, give me special treatment. I think it's more about thinking about others and ya know... Sometimes putting them before yourself. Obviously we all have our own personal goals and aspirations. But in a job where you are supposed to be leading other people and instructing them along the way? You need to show a general interest in them...

"I don't think he likes or respects the stars. I'm being honest," McCoy said Monday

From his mouth to your screen, that seems to be exactly what he's saying. Stars don't need their asses kissed. They get paid more than the rest of the players on the team, get endorsements, and so on and so forth. It just sounds to me like Shady wasn't getting his nuts tickled enough, so he got all butt-hurt. It is what it is and whatnot, but it's generally that kind of attitude from players that land them in places like, say, Buffalo, instead of NE. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

From his mouth to your screen, that seems to be exactly what he's saying. Stars don't need their asses kissed. They get paid more than the rest of the players on the team, get endorsements, and so on and so forth. It just sounds to me like Shady wasn't getting his nuts tickled enough, so he got all butt-hurt. It is what it is and whatnot, but it's generally that kind of attitude from players that land them in places like, say, Buffalo, instead of NE. Just saying.

No, you're adding context to his words in the same way that the abhorrent media does, while excluding the rest of the statement.

"I think he likes the fact that it's 'Chip Kelly and the Eagles.' ... It was 'DeSean Jackson -- a high-flying, take-off-the-top-of-the-defense receiver.' Or 'The quick, elusive LeSean McCoy. I don't think (Kelly) likes that."

Based on the exact words he said, his opinion is that the media/fan perception of the Eagles belonging to the "star players" rather than Chip Kelly irritates Chip. This fits his statements that PHI is more of a college atmosphere where the powerhouse teams are credited to the coaches who have complete control over their players and suppress their personalities. Conversely, Ryan's grown up and been immersed in the "old boy NFL" since he was a kid where, like Shady said, the players are allowed to let loose a bit so long as they aren't a detriment to the team and they do their job.

• Upvote 1

Shady has always been a loose talker. Not that this qualifies as "trash talk," but he's never been one to shy away from comments about opposing coaches and teams. It's a shame Buffalo is in the AFC, or this could spark a nice rivalry. At least we play them this year.

No, you're adding context to his words in the same way that the abhorrent media does, while excluding the rest of the statement.

Based on the exact words he said, his opinion is that the media/fan perception of the Eagles belonging to the "star players" rather than Chip Kelly irritates Chip. This fits his statements that PHI is more of a college atmosphere where the powerhouse teams are credited to the coaches who have complete control over their players and suppress their personalities. Conversely, Ryan's grown up and been immersed in the "old boy NFL" since he was a kid where, like Shady said, the players are allowed to let loose a bit so long as they aren't a detriment to the team and they do their job.

I didn't include the entire quote Not due to some devious agenda, but because it seemed to be unnecessary. If I must expound though, I will.

The rest of the quote is just more of the same in that shady making such a big deal of this "problem" says to me that even if there's some semblance of truth in what he's saying, it bothers McCoy as much as he claims it to please Chip.

As for Rex Ryan letting his players cut up, look at who you're talking about. The dude is a cut up himself, so naturally his team is going to take after that. Surely you remember the shit show that the Jets became. Maybe he should be a little more like Chip if he wants to actually keep this job.

It seems to me that the coaches who experience sustained success are of more of a team first mind set. I.e. Belichick, parcels, Cowher, Landry, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, etc. Structure and a culture of winning isn't a brand new idea. McCoy just seems like he doesn't like the idea of his coach not trying him like he's as special as he considers himself.

I didn't include the entire quote Not due to some devious agenda, but because it seemed to be unnecessary. If I must expound though, I will.

The rest of the quote is just more of the same in that shady making such a big deal of this "problem" says to me that even if there's some semblance of truth in what he's saying, it bothers McCoy as much as he claims it to please Chip.

As for Rex Ryan letting his players cut up, look at who you're talking about. The dude is a cut up himself, so naturally his team is going to take after that. Surely you remember the shit show that the Jets became. Maybe he should be a little more like Chip if he wants to actually keep this job.

It seems to me that the coaches who experience sustained success are of more of a team first mind set. I.e. Belichick, parcels, Cowher, Landry, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, etc. Structure and a culture of winning isn't a brand new idea. McCoy just seems like he doesn't like the idea of his coach not trying him like he's as special as he considers himself.

Your post didn't really do much to disprove what I said, but I will say that Cowher was a huge player's coach and often joked around with them. You can have structure while also allowing your team to have individual personalities. You can have structure without having the limelight as the genius head coach. This is what Shady's saying.

Ya, I think Tom Coughlin is a great example. Dude was about as old school as they came quite a few years ago. He was super strict, really hard on his players. It's been close to 10 years now but a lot of those Giants players were slowly turning on him. He was far too strict, didn't listen to his guys, and made them do things they thought weren't all that important. Then the media got wind of it and the Giants front office began wondering if Coughlin could ever take them further than he already had.

He talked with the Giants brass.... Apparently his wife talked to him as well to loosen up a bit as well. He didn't have to give up the things he felt were at the core of his coaching or ideal principles.. But she asked him to open up to the players more and listen to them.

Two years later, the Giants are Super Bowl champions and a few years after that, do it again.

It was no coincidence, IMO. Players on those teams will tell you the same thing. It's been well documented through different stories and on his episode of A Football Life.

You can be tough... You can be a hard ass... But if you don't have that general respect for the players on your football team. If you want to use them as things rather than see them for who they are as people. You will fail. Maybe your system is great or ground breaking. Maybe the system can get you to a certain level of success... But without the human element, you will never win a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1

I don't see Kelly being hard on his players like any of these other successful coaches mentioned.

I really think this is fundamental team philosophy of you either buy in to the program or you are gone. Shady wasn't drafted by Kelly and his style is very opposite of what you see in the run game Kelly likes so it made sense. Desean was a locker room cancer IN KELLY'S EYES and he wanted someone with a bigger body on the outside so he let him go.

I don't think this is much more than Kelly getting the players that he wants skill and personality-wise. Not telling anyone they can't be who they are.

• Upvote 1