Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Update: Polamalu Retired Unhappy With Steelers Brass

I look forward to seeing his HOF induction in five years

• Upvote 2

Always a Steeler! Farewell, Troy, you had a great career! Thanks for the memories!

• Upvote 1

As much as I hate to say it he's the best safety I've seen play the game. Dawk is my favorite player of all time, but he's second best for me. Polamalu just had so much range, was so physical, but also had ball skills and could cover with the best of them. A lot of people look at Ed Reed with all his INT's and say he was the best, but Polamalu was just so much more versatile and impacted the game so much more imo. It's funny how easy it is to forget just how dominant the Steelers defense was in the last decade, especially the year they won the Super Bowl. He was just so fun to watch. Nobody dove over a pile to make plays like Polamalu and nobody could play in the box quite like him. One of the quietest and most humble stars I've ever seen too. He let his play on the field do the talking which is a rarity this day in age. I'd say he's got to be one of the 10 best to ever do it, maybe top 5. First ballot hall of fame without a doubt.

• Upvote 2

My favorite player of all time. Wahhhhhh. :(

Thanks for the memories. And thanks for always giving it your all no matter what. The Steelers and the league couldn't have asked for a better ambassador of the sport. Never is a long time, but I'm not sure we will ever see another player like this. Oh well. That's what YouTube highlight videos are for.

Really shows everything he was capable of. I could watch that all day every day. Not just one of the best safeties ever to play, but also one of the most exciting to watch. Every week you knew he was going to make an impact, but you just didn't know how he would do it each week. Would he get after the QB? Would he make a game-changing INT? Or would he rob backs and receivers of extra yards due to his unmatched open field tackling abilities?

It'll be so weird not seeing him anymore. But the NFL was a better place because of him. Enjoy your retirement and the rest of your life, Troy. :yep::towel:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm comfortable calling Polamalu the greatest safety of all-time. Obviously there's modern bias for me (and most of us), but I think it says something that both Sean and I are so willing to rank him higher than Brian Dawkins. This guy was simply incredible, and a pleasure to watch.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

An amazing player and an amazing person. Sad to see him go, but it was time.

Farewell to one of the all-time greats. I fully expect him to be a first ballot hall of famer.

• Upvote 1

Best playmaker to ever play the safety position. You and your lovely locks will be missed. He's definitely a player I will reminisce about to my future children, and personally I think that is the best compliment I can give to a football player.

Hell of a career, Troy. Looking forward to seeing the Samoan in the hall in six years.

My favorite player of all time. Wahhhhhh. :(

Thanks for the memories. And thanks for always giving it your all no matter what. The Steelers and the league couldn't have asked for a better ambassador of the sport. Never is a long time, but I'm not sure we will ever see another player like this. Oh well. That's what YouTube highlight videos are for.

Really shows everything he was capable of. I could watch that all day every day. Not just one of the best safeties ever to play, but also one of the most exciting to watch. Every week you knew he was going to make an impact, but you just didn't know how he would do it each week. Would he get after the QB? Would he make a game-changing INT? Or would he rob backs and receivers of extra yards due to his unmatched open field tackling abilities?

It'll be so weird not seeing him anymore. But the NFL was a better place because of him. Enjoy your retirement and the rest of your life, Troy. :yep::towel:

If you look up the definition of 'explosive' you'll find a pic of Troy right next to it. :yep:

• Upvote 1

I hate seeing greats retire. It takes away from the game but I can say that it was a blast watching Troy play over the last 12 years. Troy was definitely one of the most instinctual players I've ever seen. He just knew what the offense was trying to do and put himself in the best situation to disrupt the play. Troy is definitely in the conversation of one of the best to play the game but I don't know if he's a lock for first ballot. Does his career warrant it? Most definitely but life is hard for safeties trying to get into Canton. The position is overlooked and undervalued and there is loads of competition at other positions to get in. Safeties rarely make it to the final 15 for possible inductees. I think it's only like 8 or 9 safeties in the Hall altogether.

There have been a few stand out star safeties over the last decade or so. Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Darren Woodson, but Troy was definitely a good notch ahead of all of them. And ofcourse, you can't mention Troy without Ed Reed. Both of those guys were the golden standard of safeties during their tenure. They had different games but were incredible at what they did. Troy stayed more near the line of scrimmage and dominated but he also made great plays down the field. Reed dominated center field but he also could make a play near the line of scrimmage. You can't go wrong with either player but I'd have to nudge a little towards Ed Reed. I have to go for the ball hawk because it was almost impossible to throw his way. And at the end of the day as a defensive player, you can't make more of an impact than creating turnovers and Reed was king at that. Then on top of that, he was the best taking it back for 7. But again, you can't go wrong with either and both are first ballot players in my eyes.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sensitive topic I know especially considering the rivalry but those two players careers are so closely connected being arguably two of the best safeties to ever play the game and played at the same time AND in the same division. They are going to be compared forever. Accept it and expect it.

Edited by Dutch

Because expecting players to be compared in the NFL is so uncommon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Obvious first ballot HOF. I remember the first game after the Cardinals - Steelers Super Bowl when he singlehandedly dominated on defense. I don't remember a ton of the game lol, but I don't think I've ever seen a safety play as good of a game as that.

• Upvote 2

Obvious first ballot HOF. I remember the first game after the Cardinals - Steelers Super Bowl when he singlehandedly dominated on defense. I don't remember a ton of the game lol, but I don't think I've ever seen a safety play as good of a game as that.

Opener against the Titans where he caught the one-handed INT?

Yeah. Wasn't just the pick though. He was making plays all over the field all game.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. Wasn't just the pick though. He was making plays all over the field all game.

Yeah, I remember this one play where he made a tackle in the flat that was just plain awesome.

I looked it up after my guess and something I'd forgotten was that he hurt his knee and didn't play the second half of that game. Crazy that he left such an impression on you in only the first half, though he did have 6 tackles and the interception.

I've always been a fan of Polamalu. I used to pull up the Steelers games just to watch him play. It was definitely time for him to hang it up, but still sucks to see him go. I'll probably always consider him the GOAT at the safety position.

• Upvote 1

I've always been a fan of Polamalu. I used to pull up the Steelers games just to watch him play. It was definitely time for him to hang it up, but still sucks to see him go. I'll probably always consider him the GOAT at the safety position.

Off topic, but great to see you around, Shotgun. You should post more often. :D

Yea that Titans game was insane. Never saw a safety take over a game like that in all facets of play.