Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Bware's First Round Preview and Predictions: Western Conference

Golden State Warriors (1) versus New Orleans Pelicans (8)

Summary

The Warriors ran away with the regular season. The Pelicans got healthy late and came on strong, stealing the final playoff spot with a decisive and impressive win over the defending champions. The Warriors thrive on threes. The Pelicans defend threes very well. There's star power on both squads, but both are anchored defensively by less-heralded but very good centers in Bogut and Asik. Despite all of the attention that goes to the Splash Brothers, the Warriors thrive on the defensive tenacity of Andrew Bogut and Draymond Green. Despite the greatness of Anthony Davis, the Pelicans wouldn't be anywhere without Tyreke Evans. It's a series of stars and sidekicks.

Key Pieces

Warriors--Curry, Green, Bogut

Pelicans--Davis, Evans, Gordon

X-Factors

Warriors--Thompson, Speights

Pelicans--Asik, Holiday

Maximum Win Totals

Warriors--4

Pelicans--3

Prediction

I understand that I'll turn some heads with my max win total for the Pels, but they match up very, very well with the Warriors, and if they can find ways to shorten the game and control the pace, they'll be in it. Nevertheless, I expect the Warriors to eventually take control of the series. 4-2, Warriors.

Houston Rockets (2) versus Dallas Mavericks (7)

Summary

The Rockets snuck into the 2 seed via a division title, and the Mavericks limped to the finish line. Neither team is healthy, but the Mavericks' health concerns are with significantly more important players. Chandler Parsons will be gimpy. Rajon Rondo has yet to fit in. Dirk Nowitzki is starting to show his age, and the bench isn't nearly what it was before the Rondo trade. Houston has every opportunity to take control of this series early.

Key Pieces

Houston--Harden, Howard

Dallas--Chandler, Ellis, Carlisle

X-Factors

Houston--Jones, Brewer, Ariza

Dallas--Nowitzki, Rondo, Aminu

Maximum Win Totals

Houston--4

Dallas--4

Prediction

I can't disrespect a division rival and even pretend that Houston isn't vulnerable in this series. Nevertheless, I feel that Dallas is too depleted, and likely won't win this series. If the Mavericks can keep James Harden off the free throw line by avoiding swipes at the ball as they funnel Harden into Tyson Chandler, they'll have a chance. 4-2, Rockets.

Los Angeles Clippers (3) versus San Antonio Spurs (6)

Summary

The Spurs were on a roll, only to lose their final game to a hot team and fall all the way to the 6th seed. Due to their run, the great play of the Clippers went mostly unnoticed. It should be a great series.

Key Players

LAC--Paul, Griffin, Jordan

SAS--Leonard, Parker, Duncan, Pop

X-Factors

LAC--Redick, Crawford, Rivers

SAS--Ginobili, Splitter (if he plays), Mills

Maximum Win Totals

LAC--4

SAS--4

Prediction

There are certain years where the Spurs are more vulnerable than others. This is one of those years, and I expect the Clippers to take surprise control of this series early. Perhaps the reign of Duncan is finally over. 4-2, Clippers

Portland Trail Blazers (4) versus Memphis Grizzlies (5, with Home Court Advantage)

Summary

Both of these franchises dealt with injuries and limped into the playoffs. The Memphis Grizzlies will at least survive those injuries as both Mike Conley and Tony Allen should be ready to go. The Blazers, on the other hand, lost the rising Wes Matthews for the season, and have never recovered.

Key Players

Portland--Aldridge, Lillard

Memphis--Gasol, Conley, Joerger

X-Factors

Portland--Batum

Memphis--Green, Allen

Maximum Win Totals

Portland--4

Memphis--4

Prediction

I don't think the Blazers can survive the defensive issues brought on by the absence of Wes Matthews. I think the Grizzlies send this to Portland with a 2-0 lead and close it out in 5. 4-1, Grizzlies

Holy shit BWare, not a negative comment about CP3, anywhere... You gotta fix that. Ha.

Anyway, good stuff. I think the Warriors are gonna sweep, but you never know, I guess.

Oh, you know CP3 suffers from LBS (Little Bitch Syndrome).

Good enough?

• Upvote 1

CP3 isn't bad at all when compared to Blake Griffin.

There isn't a bigger waste of oxygen on this planet than that man.

Okay, that's exaggeration, but his amount of crying and flopping is so annoying. When Z-Bo fucks his life up, it is SOOOOOOO enjoyable to watch. I wanted the Grizz and Clippers to play in the first round just so Z-Bo could elbow him in the face a time or 20, like he has in the past few post season series. Give him a reason to hit the ground.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I honestly believe that CP3 whines about three times as much as Blake Griffin.

And as much as I don't like Blake, all Zach does is cheap-shot him over and over again. If he could actually bully him with actual basketball tactics, I'd love it as much as you do.

All Josh Smith does is miss threes

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I honestly believe that CP3 whines about three times as much as Blake Griffin.

And as much as I don't like Blake, all Zach does is cheap-shot him over and over again. If he could actually bully him with actual basketball tactics, I'd love it as much as you do.

Of course that's what Zach does. Because it gets Blake all pissy and throws him off the game and lets Zach win the matchup.

That's strategy in it's own right.