Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Who's at risk after the draft?

Every year the draft brings an influx of young (and cheap) talent to every team, and each player drafted is trying to take somebody's spot, so what players on your team are most at risk of losing their starting spot, or even their job, to incoming rookies?

The idea with this topic is not just to list who you think will get cut between now and the start of the season, but to list players on your team whose replacements might have just been drafted. I remember when Keyshawn Johnson played for the Panthers late in his career, ESPN got him to do draft coverage. He was so excited when the Panthers drafted Dwayne Jarrett because he felt Jarrett had a similar skillset to his which would make for natural mentoring. The Panthers saw this a different way and Keyshawn's temporary analyst spot became a permanent one. Those are the sort of cuts I'm interested in hearing about here, guys who probably felt pretty safe until last week when they saw their team's draft.

I'll start us off with a couple Titans who I think are at risk:

Zach Mettenberger - this one's low hanging fruit, when you take a QB #2 overall you're gonna start him, by turning down big trade offers and drafting Mariota the Titans signaled that they were giving up on Mettenberger. I'm not sure what happens with him now but the best he's going to do for us know is provide a quality backup, which is a luxury we may decide we can't afford. I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt as there are many QB needy teams, the question is will the return be worth it? If not, Mettenberger could find himself stuck on the bench in Tennessee for a few years.

Justin Hunter - the perennial breakout candidate may be nearing the end of the road with the Titans adding two receivers with similar potential in Dorial Green-Beckham and Tre McBride. Hunter was already approaching a put up or shut up year, and free agent acquisitions of Douglas and Nicks added some pressure, now the receiver spot has gotten even more crowded and what looked like a decreased role for Hunter may now turn into him getting the boot

Shonn Greene - okay, I'll admit it now, signing him to a huge contract a few years back was a mistake. Greene has not lived up to that deal and as he enters the final year of it we use a fourth round pick on a fullback. Pure fullbacks don't get enough time to justify a roster spot in today's NFL so I think it's safe to assume that Jalston Fowler will be taking a lot of the short yardage carries, making Greene a potential cut candidate.

I may add some more later, but I'll leave it there for now

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

Jerricho Cotchery Cotch is all but gone. This is a youth moment we are having and he really doesn't fit in.

Darrin Reaves CAP is clearly meant as a replacement for the street free agent we picked up while in desperate straits last year with all the injuries.

Roman Harper Word on the street is Shaq Thompson will play both safety and LB. While I don't like that move, it likely signals the end for Harper who is too old, slow, and unable to tackle.

The obvious one for the Bucs is Mike Glennon, but I don't think they ever had intentions of starting him.

The other one is Danny Lansanah. He's going to have to hold off Kwon Alexander for a job now and his long term starting prospects are a little dimmer.

I also think the additions of Kenny Bell and Kaelin Clay put the Bucs' entire WR corps outside of the top 3 on blast. Especially Solomon Patton, whose calling card to make the roster is as a return man. Last year's 6th round pick Robert Herron also is on blast now, can't have stone hands this year if you want to make this team.

forgot to mention we also drafted a running back in the fifth, Greene is almost certainly gone

On the surface, I really don't think a lot of the guys we drafted are genuine threats to bigger names on the roster. Though, we did waive Quanterus Smith last week, I'm not sure it had anything to do with drafting Shane Ray, however his release may have created a bigger incentive to fill the spot with a talented player. Quanterus allegedly was waived for failing a physical, which had been his problem from day 1. Such a shame too, he had sooo much potential. Hope he can get healthy and catch on somewhere.

C Will Montgomery could definitely be on the bubble. He started a couple games last year after the line got mish-mashed around for no reason. We signed Gradkowski from Baltimore, who's shitty, but we're paying him guaranteed money. Max Garcia is going to push both of these guys, but he's probably going to settle into guard right now behind Louis Vasquez unless he really shows something.

RT Paul Cornick, if he is actually still on the team, is as good as gone with the pick of Sambrailo.

Heuerman isn't going to push anyone out, given that Juice and Tamme both left in the offseason. There should be enough spots there since Kubes tends to keep heavy on TEs.

CB will be an interesting mix, given that we drafted two, and I didn't expect us to draft any. Tony Carter could very well be gone, as well as Kayvon Webster, who hasn't lived up to the incredible reach Elway took on him. There have been rumors of Webster changing to safety though. I've been ready for Omar Bolden to be gone for years, but he always makes just enough plays to stay on the team.

I don't really see Kilgo, Seimian, or Furman pushing for playing time at all. If we end up keeping Seimian over Zac Dysert just because, I will be soooo upset.

:Texans:

CBs Darryl Morris, Jumal Rolle, and Andre Hal

-With the selection of Kevin Johnson, this is the deepest the Texans have ever been at the cornerback position. With that said, it now likely leaves Morris, Rolle, and Hal battling for two spots. Personally if they could stash Hal on the Practice Squad that would be ideal.

RB Jonathan Grimes

-With the addition of Chris Polk and drafting Kenny Hilliard, it appears that Grimes' time in Houston may be up. It's a shame really, because I believe he is a really good change-of-pace back and I liked him more than Alfred Blue. Ideally the Titans sign him, so oochy jizzes his pants at the thought of McBride and Grimes playing in Tennessee.

Ideally the Titans sign him, so oochy jizzes his pants at the thought of McBride and Grimes playing in Tennessee.

I'm not sure I'd jizz my pants (but no guarantees I wouldn't) but that would be awesome. That said I think we already have a pretty crowded backfield, even if we assume Greene is getting the boot we still have Sankey, McCluster, the two draft picks (Fowler and Cobb) and Antonio Andrews. We'll probably add at least one more as a camp body, but I'd expect Grimes to get a better offer. But then I expected him to get drafted too so what do I know?

• Upvote 2

Well there's Zac Stacy who demanded to be traded the very moment Todd Gurley was drafted and I don't blame him. That was a CJ Spiller esque total unnecessary pick. They had Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, and for some reason were totally shafting Stacy after a monster year. Jets have to be thrilled to have gotten him.

Then Andrew Whitworth got pretty upset at the Bengals drafting tackles in both the first and second round. All of a sudden they have gridlock there. In retrospect I actually think highly of doing that. Really makes them deep, and makes for a humdinger of a situation for Andy Dalton's replacement to step into.

Andrew Whitworth dared the Bengals to draft his replacement. Things may get uncomfortable now that Cincinnati appears to have done just that.

The Bengals selected Texas A&M tackle Cedric Ogbuehi with the 21st overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, then doubled down at the position by taking Oregon's Jake Fisher with their second-round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491026/article/andrew-whitworth-miffed-after-bengals-draft-tackles

Edited by BC

RBs, Bernard Pierce/Storm Johnson — Jags took T.J. Yeldon high in the 2nd round and had a 1st round grade on him. Unless they show something in preseason then either one of the two or both are gone with Yeldon, D-Rob, and Gerhart there.

OG, Zane Beadles — The crazy part is not that the Jags drafted OG A.J. Cann in the 3rd round, but that Caldwell pretty much called out the former Bronco OG he gave a big contract to last year in the press. Basically said we didn't think you held up your end, so uhhh... here's some competition, enjoy.

SS, Jonathan Cyprien — The former high 2nd round pick has been just a guy during his career so far. Bad angles, sloppy tackling, nothing but flashes. The Jags drafted safety James Sample in the 4th round and even though they like him more so to compete with Sergio Brown at the other safety spot you can't help but think Caldwell's gotta be bummed by the production of his first 2nd round pick of his GM career. Defensive Backs coach Dewayne Walker even said, "It's time" for Cyprien. Meaning they haven't been satisfied so far. So while the Jags didn't draft his replacement they've voiced public displeasure for the first time and have seemed to find a player who's better at everything than Cyprien in the 4th round. :lol:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Storm would probably beat out Gerhart right now, and I'd love to try and nab Whitworth from the Bengals if we could get him at a good price. I'd give up a second rounder for two years of keeping the left side of the offensive line stout.

Whitworth is 33 and in the final year of his contract. The Bengals didn't put themselves in nearly the same hole that St. Louis did. What the Bengals did was smart -- planning for the future. What the Rams did was unnecessary.

Honestly don't really think there are any real issues with vets because of Packer draft choices. All of them except Hundley will probably see their fair share of ST snaps (coach even said as much during his presser). It looks like we drafted John Kuhn's replacement, but I don't think that will have any negative consequences on Kuhn this year.

Datone Jones may be kinda sorta in hot water with the drafting of a new DE, but again.. Don't think that comes to fruition this year.

Andrew Quarless maybe the most effected, but even he probably survives one more season.

• Upvote 1

Whitworth is 33 and in the final year of his contract. The Bengals didn't put themselves in nearly the same hole that St. Louis did. What the Bengals did was smart -- planning for the future. What the Rams did was unnecessary.

Honestly don't really think there are any real issues with vets because of Packer draft choices. All of them except Hundley will probably see their fair share of ST snaps (coach even said as much during his presser). It looks like we drafted John Kuhn's replacement, but I don't think that will have any negative consequences on Kuhn this year.

Datone Jones may be kinda sorta in hot water with the drafting of a new DE, but again.. Don't think that comes to fruition this year.

Andrew Quarless maybe the most effected, but even he probably survives one more season.

He definitely won't be on the hands team this year lol

That was Bostick nor Quarles

• Upvote 1

He definitely won't be on the hands team this year lol

That was Bostick nor Quarles

This ^ . And he was usppoed to be blocking anyway. he wasn't one of the "hand guys" in the formation. lol. Fail fish. :(

Would love to see Cooper get cut, but something tells me he makes the team again this year.

Honestly? Reading through all the reports that came out last week, it seems like Rob Sims is the only one who might be at risk.

Abdullah is gonna be splitting carries with Bell so Bell's role isn't gonna change. Unless if Abdullah totally takes the league by storm.

Everybody else is just gonna be rotational guys. Lol.

The Falcons really had a grand slam of a draft this year. With Mike Smith at the head coach position, we seemed to go with the "safe" picks, over the best players available or the biggest need. This year, with Quinn and Dimitroff calling the shots together, it seemed like they were going for getting the best player available talent wise, and dealing with some off field issues or question marks later. I think it's really going to work out. Anyway, here's my list:

CB Robert Alford - The drafting of Jalen Collins in the second round was a bit of a surprise to myself. The Falcons front office has been really high on Alford since drafting him. He's shown a ton of talent, albeit raw, there is talent there none the less. He's been considered the starter across from Trufant for about a season and a half now and has been improving since his first field time consistently. Collins looks to be a guy that is in about the same boat as Alford was entering the NFL. Raw. But he's got a lot more talent and he has more of a skill set to be a corner on the outside. I think that it's very possible Collins comes into camp this year and challenges Alford, possibly stealing that outside role from him.

DT Jonathan Babineaux - Babs has been a consistent starter for the Falcons for years now, but he's heading toward the end years of his career. The Falcons selected Grady Jarrett in the 5th round, everyone is projecting him as the steal of the draft. Jarrett fell because of concerns with his height, much like Babineaux when he was drafted. Jarrett could very well be one of the top DL in the draft though if he continues to dominate the LOS like he did for Clemson. I really think that Jarrett, while starting out the season as arole player, could take that tackle spot from Babs as the season progresses.

WR Devin Hester - This might be a weird one to put here, but I think Hester is at risk of losing his time as a receiver with the team. He'll no doubt remain our primary kick return man though. Justin Hardy should be able to fill the role of Harry Douglas and then some. He's quick and adds a great route running skill set along with some sure hands to the position - something that Hester lacked for us. Hester was given many opportunities last season, but drops seemed to torment him and keep him from really getting anywhere for us. I view Hardy as a guy that roles onto the field as the slot receiver every time we go three wide. Hester will really need to bring his A-game if he wants to continuing seeing the field as a receiver.

LB Paul Worrilow - WAR was great for us the past two seasons at getting to the football and making some big stops when we needed them. He wasn't very good when the opposing teams decided to pass the football though. Now there is talk of Durant, brought in this off season, moving inside and getting a few pure pass rushers on the outside. Hence, the Vic Beasley drafting. There's a lot of talk out in flowery branch already about seeing a Beasley-Durant-Reed-Schofield linebacker core on the field in 3-4 looks, with a Beasley-Durant-Reed front in 4-3. Worrilow needs to once again show major improvement as camps open up, much like he had last season. No doubt he's one of the best stories the Falcons have had for a few years now, but he needs to improve more to hold his spot and keep himself from becoming depth.

• Upvote 1