Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Germany, Mexico to host games? Pro Bowl in Rio?

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20150520171849405854708&ref=hea&tm=&src=

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) A future regular-season NFL game in Mexico or Germany was discussed by NFL owners Wednesday.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said both countries have reached out about hosting games, and there is "renewed interest" among the owners. The league is intent on expanding its international series, and it will have three games in London this season for the second straight year.

Arizona hosted San Francisco in Mexico City in 2005, drawing a record crowd of 103,467 for a regular-season game.

There have been five preseason matches played in Germany, none since 1994.

Goodell also says Rio de Janeiro has shown interest in staging a Pro Bowl.

The commissioner cites the "passion for our game and taking it to another level" for the league pursuing more international matches.

There is speculation that any game in Mexico would be played in Monterrey or Guadalajara, not Mexico City. Azteca is the biggest stadium in the country.

However, the iconic ballpark that has hosted two World Cups needs major renovations to bring it closer to the level of the newest stadiums in Mexico such as Omnilife in Guadalajara, or the new BBVA Stadium in Monterrey.

Monterrey hosted an NFL preseason game in 1996.

But no one should rule out the capital city.

Last November, Mexico City secretary of economic development Salomon Chertorivski met with 49ers owner John York regarding the possibility of a game. That was the first public admission the NFL might return to Mexico.

In recent months, Mexico City's government has made strong efforts to attract major international events. Formula 1 will be coming back for the first time in 23 years, and last November the NBA held the second regular-season game in history in the country when the Timberwolves faced the Rockets.

"We already have great events in Mexico City. We have Formula 1, the NBA, the UFC, we're trying to bring a NHL game also, and we are also looking to bring Major League Baseball," said Horacio De la Vega, the director of Mexico City's Sports Institute.

"We had a couple of visits from people from the NFL in Mexico City to check the stadiums. I think there will be a third very soon; we held conversations with the NFL because we're focused in making this happen."

De la Vega added they're trying to sign a three-year deal with the NFL.

"There are many things to work out. It's not the same locker room for 20 soccer players than one for 53 NFL ones, plus staff and their equipment. We need to be ready," said Arturo Olive, NFL Mexico*s director. "Azteca Stadium and Estadio Olimpico have the most capacity, and that gives them a slight edge. But so far, there's nothing ruled out."

Olive thinks the major events to be held in Mexico City also help with enticing the NFL to return.

"It plays a role," he said. "We're using these events as an example to give them certainty that when they decide to come back, we are ready and holding world class events right now."

Worldwide, baby.

Edited by Vin

I've advocated taking the Pro Bowl abroad for years, I'm glad the NFL is finally talking about it

• Upvote 1

F this. Keep the regular season in the US. I don't really feel like going overseas is a good move,and let's be honest, it's got to be brutal on the players

I think taking the Pro Bowl worldwide is a great idea. It allows fans that never would of had a chance to experience the NFL get to see there favourite players and no more teams lose home games.

I went to go the Bucs vs Bears at Wembley a few years ago and it was tbh amazing the atmosphere inside and out was epic. I'd never of been able to see a game otherwise.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20150708073247766617408&ref=hea&tm=&src=

LONDON (AP) The NFL will stage at least two regular-season games each season at Premier League club Tottenham's new London stadium over a 10-year period under a deal announced Wednesday.

Tottenham is hoping to move into a new 61,000-seat venue adjacent to its current White Hart Lane stadium in 2018. It will feature a retractable grass field with an artificial surface underneath that would be used for American football.

"With growing enthusiasm for the NFL in the United Kingdom, we are committed to hosting NFL games in world-class venues and are excited to partner with Tottenham Hotspur to play games at their future stadium," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

London Mayor Boris Johnson said the Tottenham deal will "help us take another step towards our goal of having a permanent NFL franchise here."

The NFL currently has two years remaining on its deal with Wembley Stadium, the 90,000-seat north London venue where 11 regular-season games have been played since 2007. England's national soccer stadium will host three more NFL games this year.

The NFL said it was "optimistic" the relationship with Wembley would be extended beyond 2016, with the 10-year Tottenham deal not preventing games being played elsewhere in Britain.

The Jacksonville Jaguars has a four-season deal, which expires in 2016, to play at least one-regular season home game at Wembley. The Jaguars have been touted as a potential future London franchise, given that owner Shad Khan bought London soccer club Fulham in 2013.

"We've seen incredible growth in the Jaguars' international following that can be traced specifically to our agreement to play a home game at Wembley Stadium through 2016," Khan said in a statement, which didn't detail the Jaguars' post-2016 plans in the British capital.

Although Tottenham will be rivaling Wembley as an NFL venue, the team might need to use the venue to play games during the final phase of construction work at its home for the last 116 years.

Tottenham has been trying to move out of White Hart Lane for several years, with the 36,000-capacity hampering the club's money-making abilities. North London rival Arsenal has been playing for almost a decade at the Emirates Stadium, which has around 60,000 seats.

"We have an opportunity now to deliver one of the most unique sporting and entertainment venues in the world, bringing together the EPL and NFL for the first time," Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said.

Tottenham failed in a bid to take over London's Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games. It will become the new home of Premier League club West Ham in 2016 and is also seeking NFL games.

What happens to season ticket holders who miss out on a game because it's being put on in another country? Do they get refunded or are they expected to fly to Europe?

I realize that it's more likely that the ticket package for the year will have the cost of that game taken off, but it's hard for me to believe that the NFL would lower the price on anything. Especially since the league's greed will have 3/4 of the 32 regular season games played in different countries around the world by the time I'm old and grey.