Bangy

2015 OTA's, Minicamp and Preseason Thread

Well seeing as we have some form of Football all be it just the Organised Team Activities. I thought it could be a good place for us to comment on players who are on the fringe or the rookies for your teams.

The Giants have a few interesting factors so far. Obviously the injury to William Beatty is a big blow for Eli but from what I have read Erick Flowers has come in quite nicely and although has a lot to learn is doing well.

Landon Collins is apparently fitted in really well and is already commanding the defensive backfield, he is more being looked at playing free safety over strong due to his athleticism and coverage ability.

Mykkele Thompson who was drafted in the 5th apparently looks even more raw than first thought, however he is showing flashes of talent and has picked off Nassib in 7 on 7 drills.

Cullen Jenkins is getting time at DE as JPP isn't at the OTA's at the moment but apparently there may be plays to put him there on running downs. Damontre Moore is also a name to be looking out for.

Finally Stoney Brook undrafted TE Will Tye is apparently making plays and turning heads so far. He came through rookie camp on an invite and has done well so far.

• Upvote 1

Why all the Giants news as a Packers fan?

Edited by Bucman
  • Upvote 1

has nagging Bangy about switching teams gotten old for anyone else?

I was thinking about that in the Soccer thread, I was gonna make a joke about one of Bangy's recent posts but like you said that horse has been beaten to death

On topic though: the media isn't allowed to talk much about what they see with the limited time they view unless the coach says something about it publicly first, but by all accounts everyone in the building is ferociously fapping about Julius Thomas in terms of his routes and he's catching everything in sight from all angles.

Greg Olson today commented on how pleased they were with rookie Rashad Greene's routes out of the slot, his smoothness in them, his quickness and his ability after the catch. Basically all his positives on the scouting report as a prospect have translated to underwear practice already.

They seem overall very pleased with the entire defense. The usually very reserved Bob Babich being almost over joyed with the media about how fast the defense was reacting and playing already. Basically saying that it seems like the whole unit even with it's new starting pieces via Free Agency already trusts each other and is playing fast and not thinking too much.

They seem really happy with some of their 2nd and 3rd year guys who they seem to think have caught up with the vets finally in terms of maturity, and as I've said for the past two years I think the Jaguars are the youngest, dumbest team in the league in terms of how they beat themselves before teams have the opportunity to and if they are in fact starting to mature finally that's a good sign.

Just off the top of my head, stuff I've gathered over the last week or so.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

:Texans:

Teammates are raving that Cushing finally looks like his old self before the two season-ending knee injuries.

When the Texans drafted Mumphery in the fifth round, my reaction was, "Who?" Apparently he has showcased great hands and deceptive speed, and drawing some Vereen comparisons.

Kevin Johnson has been as advertised. Great footwork, closes in quickly, and a high football IQ. He's also made it a habit to sit in the QB room to better understand what the QB thinking process is.

Wilfork is HUGE! (Obviously) Makes Louis Nix look like a linebacker. He has quickly fit in to the Texans lockerroom as a veteran leader.

has nagging Bangy about switching teams gotten old for anyone else?

It's just as old seeing him pretend to be overly passionate about a sports team.

He's made it impossible to take anything he says seriously.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

It's just as old seeing him pretend to be overly passionate about a sports team.

He's made it impossible to take anything he says seriously.

Not being overly passionate for once I'm trying to actually get into the team, learn about them and use that to contribute to the board.

I'm so goddamn irritated with football right now. I love the game, I really do, but this constant 24/7 coverage that the media forces on us just makes the offseason 10 times longer. If it ain't between the start of training camp and the end of the Super Bowl, I ain't interested aside from real, actual Draft days. My god.

• Upvote 1

Yea, honestly the NFL is dead to me until training camp.

• Upvote 1

The main OTA news around the Bucs is the obvious Jameis love fest. Plus apparently Logan Mankins has a six pack now lol.

Caleb Sturgis out at least four weeks after kickball injury, according to source
James Walker, ESPN Staff Writer
Miami Dolphins kicker Caleb Sturgis injured his left quad playing kickball and is expected to miss at least four weeks, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.
Sturgis was participating in a team-sponsored event that was meant to build chemistry. The injury took place on his non-kicking leg. But Sturgis will be sidelined for the final week of organized team activities and Miami's mandatory minicamp that runs June 16-18.

so, why did they think kickball would be a good idea?

Kickball is always a great idea.

• Upvote 2

Well a few more days left then Camp kicks in. Views on what your hoping for?

I'm starting to drink the Bradford Kool-aide just because I want to be optimistic about the Eagles season. By in large a lot of it hinges on his health. I think the Eagles have given him plenty of weapons and I think our defense will give him lots of opportunities but I really just don't want to allow myself to get too excited because it IS the Eagles lol. If we can get good QB play we're a very very solid football team in all phases of the game. It's a pretty big if though. We can't turn the ball over like we did last year if we expect to do anything besides maybe make the playoffs

Welp we lost Derek Wolfe for 4 games for PED's, this offseason has been terrible.

tempGC1_2469--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Fight broke out in the Redskins/Texans joint practice today. And yes, that is Mike Vrabel smack dab in the middle of it. :laugh:

Cowboys CB Brandon Carr will undergo surgery Monday after suffering a broken bone in his right hand.

Carr should be considered week to week. It's similar to the injury DeMarco Murray played through last year. Rookie Byron Jones will take on a bigger role at outside corner with Carr sidelined.

Victor Cruz looks like he really is ahead of where everyone thought he would be. Seems he is doing everything on instinct and not worried about his knee which is great.

He's does well in 1v1 and team drills.

• Upvote 1

6 games tomorrow, boys.

:Saints::Ravens: 7:30

:Jets::Lions: 7:30

:Packers: :Patriots: 7:30 NFL Network

:dolphins::Bears: 8:00

:Redskins::Browns: 8:00

:Cowboys::Chargers: 10:00 NFL Network

Edited by Bay
  • Upvote 1

The Chargers have kicked D.J. Fluker inside to guard.

He's been practicing there the last few days, with Joseph Barksdale moving up to the first team at right tackle. This combination gives San Diego its best-possible offensive line, with King Dunlap at left tackle, Orlando Franklin at left guard, Chris Watt at center, and Fluker-Barksdale on the right side.
Source: CBS Sports

The Colts have moved Bjoern Werner from rush linebacker to strong-side linebacker.

As expected. He's now Erik Walden's backup and won't come close to playing the 825 snaps he was in on last season. Werner, the 24th overall pick in 2013, managed a mere 18 quarterback hurries in 2014. His main job at strong-side linebacker will be to stop the run. Werner has two years left on his contract.
Source: ESPN.com

Wait why did I write NBC? Both games tonight are on NFL Network from 7:30 to 1. The rest locally.

Injury notes:

Jags:

TE Julius Thomas and S Johnathan Cyprien are out for the rest of the preseason

Giants:

S Landon Collins has a sprained MCL and could miss the rest of the preseason

S Mykkele Thompson tore his achilles and is done for the season

Saints:

RB CJ Spiller underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and will miss the rest of the preseason

Redskins:

TE Niles Paul fractured his ankle and is done for the season

TE Logan Paulsen will undergo surgery for turf toe and will miss the rest of the season

RB Silas Redd tore his ACL and MCL and will miss the rest of the season

Bears:

Kevin White has a stress fracture in his shin and could potentially miss the entire season

Well at least Collins isn't out for too long. Shame about Thompson though, hopefully won't effect his career in the long run.

Thompson was going to be my surprise player for the Giants this year as well.

Phil Loadholdt likely tore his achilles tendon. He's no loss in regard to pass blocking, but the dude is an absolute road-grater in the run game.

Here's to hoping TJ Clemmings is ready to go.