Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Irreplaceable Offensive Players

Remember, this is not a list of the best offensive players, but the most indispensable (sans quarterbacks).

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Rob Gronkowski

3. Julio Jones

4. OBJ

5. Le'Veon Bell

6. Jamaal Charles

7. AJ Green

8. Joe Thomas

9. Marshawn Lynch

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496388/article/adrian-peterson-tops-nfls-most-indispensable-offensive-players

Thoughts, complaints? Any changes you would make. I honestly don't feel AP is that indispensable. Schein mentions he wants to add a guy like Eddie Lacy but doesn't becasue the Packers have Aaron Rodgers (which is fair, IMO)... But then I wonder what that says about Ben Roethlisberger when Bell makes the list... who... Even if you don't like the guy shouldn't be outside your Top 5 QBs in the league (In my Top 3, ftr).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I was questioning how Bell made the list when they have Ben. Gronk, as awesome as he is is too high as well. The Patriots are going to get it down offensively with anyone and when you consider Brady's success with Gronk being hurt, he's too high on the list. But really, looking at the trend of my last two comments, any team that has an elite QB doesn't have an indispensable player on their offense because the elite QB is going to be elite and make plays despite who's around them. Anyways, my list isn't going to be a total indicator of the players talent level because you also have to consider the other talent or lack thereof around them.

1. Marshawn Lynch

2. Jamaal Charles

3. Matte Forte

4. Julio Jones

5. Adrian Peterson

6. Dez Bryant

7. Calvin Johnson

8. Arian Foster

9. A.J Green

Edited by Dutch

You really can't knock this down to exactly ten players.

1. Marshawn Lynch

2. Calvin Johnson

3. OBJ

4. Le'Veon Bell (proto-typical 3 down back in TODAY'S NFL? Sign me up!)

5. All of the elite Tackles

6. All of the elite Guards

7. All of the elite Centers

8. DeMaryius Thomas

9. Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, etc.

10. Adrian Peterson, Forte, Charles, Murray, etc.

Edited by BwareDWare94

1. Marshawn Lynch

2. Calvin Johnson

3. OBJ

8. DeMaryius Thomas

There is a better one that you have ranked at #10

Edited by BJORN

1. Marshawn Lynch

2. Calvin Johnson

3. OBJ

8. DeMaryius Thomas

in general, guards are far more replaceable than centers

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

There is a better one that you have ranked at #10

A better one whose lost multiple seasons to injury.

in general, guards are far more replaceable than centers

I was just going through the elite members of OLs. Not really ranking them so much as including them on the list.

Jamaal and Marshawn gotta be higher

I don't agree with Cherry very often but the Chiefs have absolutely nothing offensively without Jamaal Charles. Them bringing Maclin into the fold helps, but Maclin is a low end #1 to elite-top end #2 WR.

I agree with Peterson though because he doesn't even need an offensive line to have awesome production. The Vikings have a good young QB and some weapons in the passing game now, but Peterson allows them to use those weapons more effectively because he's going to eat you alive if you don't plan on stopping him first.

Kind of interesting that as devalued as RB's are in this league that some of the more important, non QB offensive players are RB's. You could argue the top 3 very easily, which brings me to LeSean McCoy. Yes the Bills have Sammy Watkins, but in order for Rex Ryan to get to where he was in NY when they were going to conference championships, the running game has to be effective. so with that, here are my rankings.

1. Jamaal Charles

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Adrian Peterson

4. Antonio Brown (I already explained the RB's, but I've been touting this stat for a while now. Antonio Brown has not been held to under 5 receptions in 32 consecutive regular season games now. I think to say that the Steelers passing attack looks different without him is a drastic understatement)

5, AJ Green (Anyone who has watched a Bengals game the last few years since Green was drafted knows how much their offense and Andy Dalton in particular relies on AJ Green. I think there are better receivers in the league, but this guy is absolutely vital to his teams offense. The funny thing is that Cinci has done a good job of selecting good complementary weapons for Dalton but Green is so dominant that he just ignores them

6. Tyron Smith (I absolutely hate the Dallas Cowboys, but all their new found success is all about what they're doing up front on their offensive line and this guy is the best player they have on that unit. That's why they locked him up last year before Dez and just flat out let Murray walk.)

7. Calvin Johnson (Still the same old G, but the Lions have just gotten better. Golden Tate has been a revelation and the Lions can run the football a little bit. Make no mistake, when he's in the game all the defenders know where he is and he opens up a lot for everybody. Stafford still likes to force feed him, but the Lions don't need to do that as much now.)

8. LeSean McCoy

9. Jason Kelce (If the Eagles want to keep Sam Bradford healthy and they want to run the ball effectively it all starts with Jason Kelce and there's even more pressure with Evan Mathis gone. Peters is the franchise LT, but he's pretty much on an island. Kelce is going to have to hold the Eagles interior offensive line together with 2 new starters on either side of him.)

10. Rob Gronkowski (He'd probably be higher if it wasn't for New England's ability to still produce without him but there's no question that Gronk makes them an offense that contends for titles and not just one that stuffs a stat sheet. He's a mismatch on practically anybody who covers him because of his unique blend of size and athleticism and he's a major asset in the Patriots running game.)

8. LeSean McCoy

Saying that McCoy is indispensable is basically saying we are screwed now that he's with Buffalo. I think our offense will still thrive without Shady especially considering who we replaced him with.

Saying that McCoy is indispensable is basically saying we are screwed now that he's with Buffalo. I think our offense will still thrive without Shady especially considering who we replaced him with.

I don't think so because we now have Murray AND Matthews. McCoy is indispensable to his new team, the Buffalo Bills. Rex Ryan wants to grind it out on offense and play dominant defense. The success of his offensive game plan is going to rest largely on the shoulders of McCoy, especially with a questionable QB situation.

First of all, DeMarco Murray is a better every down back than Shady McCoy. Not because he's shiftier or faster, but because he hits the hole and gains yards every single time. McCoy dances too much. Murray's better.

First of all, DeMarco Murray is a better every down back than Shady McCoy. Not because he's shiftier or faster, but because he hits the hole and gains yards every single time. McCoy dances too much. Murray's better.

I think that remains to be seen. I thought Murray had a lot of potential before last year, it's just that injuries held him back, but having said that, it's easy to see holes when they're as big as the Cowboys offensive line was making them. I don't think it was all the o line though because Murray was pretty tough to bring down after those 3-5 yards he got as a result of blocking. I think DeMarco lead the league in yards after contact too, but it is still a lot easier to pick the right hole with a great offensive line.

As for McCoy, lets not forget that he did go for 1300 yards playing with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string offensive linemen for the majority of the season. There were some plays where he made bad decisions but there were also some plays where if his blocking was like 10% better and he could have made it to the edge that he could have busted it for a huge gain.

As far as who the better back is, it's a tough call. I think McCoy is historically a little more durable and a little less prone to fumbling despite the way he carries the ball, but Murray is a little more decisive and hits the hole faster and harder. LeSean McCoy is without a doubt a bigger threat when he breaks loose into the open field. Another thing to consider is McCoy is a bigger threat catching the football. It's not because he has great hands but it has a lot to do with his ability to make damn near all 11 guys miss if he has some grass in front of him.

I think for the Eagles purposes and with what they want to do on offense Murray Matthews and Sproles will work better than McCoy Sproles and Polk because they want to use a frenetic pace and physical style of play to wear down opponents and then gash them with Sproles. They want to wear down DB's too with bigger and more physical receivers, hell I think they even want to get their receivers out blocking to do the same thing because Chip puts more of an emphasis on that than I think most realize. I think it's part of the reason why an ex special teamer like Riley Cooper has gotten as many snaps as he has. He's a big guy who can block and in theory out muscle and out jump DB's.

I don't think so because we now have Murray AND Matthews. McCoy is indispensable to his new team, the Buffalo Bills. Rex Ryan wants to grind it out on offense and play dominant defense. The success of his offensive game plan is going to rest largely on the shoulders of McCoy, especially with a questionable QB situation.

How can McCoy be indispensable for a team he's never played a single.Down for? It's an ideal situation because buffalo wants to pound the rock but It's yet to be seen.

How can McCoy be indispensable for a team he's never played a single.Down for? It's an ideal situation because buffalo wants to pound the rock but It's yet to be seen.

Because of his contract he's going to get a heavy amount of carries. You don't trade one of your best players playing for under a million dollars this year for a guy like McCoy who needs a lot of touches and who has the contract he has for him not to be the guy in your offense. Especially not with what we know about Rex Ryan. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

It's going to be interesting. Idk about indispensable or irreplaceable, but when we play the Bills, I SURE hope we can make him irrelevant lol.

It's going to be interesting. Idk about indispensable or irreplaceable, but when we play the Bills, I SURE hope we can make him irrelevant lol.

yeah me too and I think we have a good shot at that with this front 7. I don't buy into the Ryans starting and Kendricks getting traded hype either. I think Ryans was kept around to provide leadership and some depth on short yardage and goal line situations. Wonder if he'll get special teams snaps. Gonna be tough to keep a back up LB on the roster that doesn't play special teams.

Putting Charles outside of the top 3 is criminal. Imo.

Not when you don't know if he'll be there every Sunday.

• Downvote 4

Not when you don't know if he'll be there every Sunday.

I wish I had some of these cool gifs people always use in situations like these. Lol.

BlakeShock.gif\

Anyway. I can't see someone that is more valuable than Charles. Holding someone's injuries against them is stupid. Especially considering the amount of work that is put on him, you'd break down too if you were your team's only viable option on offense.

Charles is special, I wasn't a huge fan of him when he started, but the more I watch him play the more I see him do things and IMPROVE every year that amaze me.

He'd be #1

Two would have to be Dez Bryant or Julio Jones. Both are freakish athletes and their teams are NOT the same without them on the field. Even when playing hurt, these guys at 75% are still better than 90% of people at 100%

Three would be Antonio Brown. Special player. Want to see another season like last to put him higher..but Brown's ability to separate from defenders and run insane routes with the speed/agility...it's incredible.

• Upvote 2

4. Antonio Brown (I already explained the RB's, but I've been touting this stat for a while now. Antonio Brown has not been held to under 5 receptions in 32 consecutive regular season games now. I think to say that the Steelers passing attack looks different without him is a drastic understatement)

I actually have to disagree with this. Ben Roethlisberger makes the Steelers go, not Antonio Brown. For years, Roethlisberger had a revolving door at WR, but he managed to stay productive in spite of it. Also witness how Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace have faded into obscurity without him, and how Jerricho Cotchery had a rebirth with him. Changes in fortune like that illustrate who's really stirring the drink for the Steelers. This doesn't mean that I believe Antonio Brown would be a nobody without Roethlisberger; I think he'd still be good because of his strong work ethic. Be that as it may, there's no way he'd be on pace to become the best WR in Steelers history without Roethlisberger throwing him the ball. Instead of averaging 1,500 receiving yards and 10 TDs per season, he'd probably average 1,100 receiving yards and seven TDs per season if he had just an average QB throwing to him. On the other hand, I trust that Roethlisberger could make do even if he had only Markus Wheaton and Martavis Bryant to throw to, because he's made do with lesser WR corps in the past. Basically, I don't think Roethlisberger's performance would decline as much without Antonio Brown as Brown's performance would decline without Roethlisberger. The good news is, I don't have to find out either way right now, because I have both, and they both bring out the best in each other. I honestly think the relationship that Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown have could be compared to tandems like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, or Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin, where each one seems to read the other's mind. That's a special thing.

Charles

Lynch

Antonio Brown

Rob Gronkowski

OBJ

Jimmy Graham

It's pretty interesting though. The RB position as a whole is devalued, but if we make lists like these, their are still more of them then anyone else...