Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Man behind Jaxson De Ville mascot retires

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498432/article/curtis-dvorak-man-behind-jaxson-de-ville-retires

Curtis Dvorak, man behind Jaxson De Ville, retires

Curtis Dvorak, who brought an undeniable peppiness and sense of purpose as the man behind Jacksonville Jaguars mascot Jaxson De Ville, announced his retirement from the post on Tuesday. He is 39 years old.

For 19 seasons, Dvorak donned the costume and brought to life the banana-colored jungle cat with bulging cartoon eyes. His humorous signs, fearlessness of mascot convention and ability to ride a tiny motorcycle were beloved by Jaguars fans across the nation and in England, where Dvorak performed twice.

Citing his desire to move on to his next career, which Dvorak said involves a "TV, radio or internet thing near you," he informed the Jaguars of his plans to drop the fluffy ensemble a few weeks ago.

"It's impossible to put into words what the last 19 years with our team has meant to me and done for me professionally and, without a doubt, personally," Dvorak said in a lengthy statement released by the club. "I have had the privilege and honor to bring life to and raise Jaxson for almost two decades. This has been an incredibly fun, challenging and extremely rewarding journey. I've been asked often over the years, 'When do you think you'll retire?' My answer was usually either tomorrow or some other time. Well, the time has come."

Some of Dvorak's greatest moments involved him accidentally lighting himself on fire or taking a load of paint balls to his Jaguar chest after losing a bet to another mascot. He also beat up a Tim Tebow impostor on the field at legendary Wembley Stadium and started a miniature Twitter feud with Mike Florio, the editor of NBC's Pro Football Talk.

"I take with me so many great memories from performing at over 200 games, more than 7,000-plus events and some unreal, pinch-yourself moments that never once made this feel like work," he said. "I will forever be grateful to the hundreds of staff, coaches, players and cheerleaders I've had the privilege to work with. Your love, support and yes, at times, tolerance are appreciated more than you know."

The Jaguars have yet to announce a formal succession plan, but Around The NFL will have the latest if and when news breaks.

Campin sad. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill for the next guy.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if they'll retire the mascot with him and roll something new out.

BWlkFJ7CYAAXNF_.jpg

I remember when he made this bet with the Broncos' mascot. They're still pretty good friends I think.

Wonder if they'll retire the mascot with him and roll something new out.

Unless they hire Campin as his replacement, I personally think they should just come up with a new Jaguar mascot.

am I the only person who's just now finding out that Jacksonville has had the same guy in their mascot costume for the last 19 years?

Unless they hire Campin as his replacement, I personally think they should just come up with a new Jaguar mascot.

introducing a new edger take on the Jaguars mascot, we present... Jaxx DaVille... slacker slash heroin addict who steals from his mother's purse after giving handies behind the Qwik-N-Go to make some gas money to kick start his 1985 Nissan Sentra *Jaxx DaVille falls through paper sign as fireworks shoot off into his emo bangs which are loaded with far too much hair spray and are instantly set ablaze*

• Upvote 1

CIVW6MjWUAAPna_.png

The saddest news I’ve heard this offseason. Jaxson De Ville is retiring.

The man in the suit (Curtis Dvorak) has been doing his thing for 19 years. 19 years he’s been in that big hairy suit in the Florida sun, doing crazy bungee jumps and whatnot. Mascots have to work more than just the games too, they do media appearances and all kinds of things. 19 years in a suit. I can’t fathom it. I get hot in my apartment wearing no pants and I get annoyed.

I’ve actually chatted with Curtis via twitter a few times and even had a picture commissioned by him, which got shown on the Jags official feed, the only time I’ve managed to make the twitter feed of an actual team:

Jags-300x215.png

He’s responded to each picture & comic I’ve made with him in it. He seems like a quality guy and I don’t know what he’s going to do now, but I wish him the best and want to say thanks for being the best goddamn mascot on planet earth.

by Dave Rappoccio on June 25, 2015 at 12:01 am

sebastian-sniffle.gif

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson