FartWaffles

JPP suffers firework-related hand injury

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5681/jason-pierrepaul

The New York Daily News confirms an ESPN report that Giants unsigned franchise player Jason Pierre-Paul's hand injury is "not believed to be career threatening."

The source added that Pierre-Paul isn't believed to be in danger of losing his hand. A woman who tweeted that she was lighting fireworks from a U-Haul truck full of them Pierre-Paul had allegedly purchased has since deleted her Twitter account. Pierre-Paul did indeed injure his hand, but the extent remains unclear, and indications from reliable media outlets indicate the injury may not be so much as game threatening, let alone a threat to JPP's career.

This has got to rank up near the top for the dumbest offseason injury award. :laugh:

At least he didn't hurt his leg. >_>

He's a dlineman he can do his job with one hand

How effectively though? Those Dlineman, especially pass rushers use their hands a lot. Not saying he will be bad or what have you because I don't know the extent of the injury... But, for example, Clay Matthews wore a club for a while on one of his hands and wasn't as good. Not terrible, but not exactly the same guy either.

The NFL is a very weird place.

'02 :jags: P Chris Hanson

-First and second-degree burns from an overturned fondue pot incident

'07 :Redskins: S LaRon Landry

-Groin injury playing paintball

'03 :panthers: DT Kindal Moorehead

-Spent four days in the hospital from a spider bite during training camp

'03 :Titans: WR Derrick Mason

-Fractured hand on a terrible golf swing mishap

'10 :panthers: WR Steve Smith

-Broke arm playing flag football

'13 :Bills: QB Kevin Kolb

-Suffered a knee injury slipping on a rubber mat during training camp

'15 :dolphins: K Caleb Sturgis

-Quad injury during a kickball game

'11 :dolphins: QB Chad Pennington

-ACL tear playing basketball

Sources:

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4646399-nfl-offseason-injuries-off-field-freak-accidents-brandon-marshall-steve-smith-laron-landry-caleb-sturgis/slide/329509

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6277399

you've gotta think this greatly decreases his chances of getting a long-term deal this offseason, the Giants are going to want to see how this impacts him, I just read that the Giants could elect to rescind their franchise offer, but I think that would be a shock to just about everyone

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5681/jason-pierrepaul

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants pulled a long-term offer to unsigned franchise player Jason Pierre-Paul after he injured his hand in a weekend fireworks accident.

Per Rapsheet, the G-Men "do not believe a long-term offer is in the best interest of those involved at this point." JPP is expected to be okay, but the extent of the damage remains unclear. He appears to be dealing with nerve damage and burns. Pierre-Paul's franchise tag will earn him a cool $14.8 million this season.

Campin and I were talking about that in the shoutbox earlier, beyond the potential physical damage you have to doubt a guy's decision making when he's blowing up a uhaul-van-load of fireworks while trying to land a multi-million dollar contract that's based on his physical aiblity

• Upvote 1

The level of stupidity in this if it's true is unreal. Especially considering the level of work he has put in over off season to return from injury and going into a year where he's tagged trying to get a bigger deal.

The level of stupidity in this if it's true is unreal.

have you seen anything that makes you doubt it's true? I mean, other than the fact that it's unbelievably stupid, why would anyone make something like this up?

have you seen anything that makes you doubt it's true? I mean, other than the fact that it's unbelievably stupid, why would anyone make something like this up?

No no just amazed at the stupidity of it all. Wrong choice of words.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/617868301406994432

There's this from a doctor:

Though Pierre-Paul has yet to allow anyone connected with the team to visit him in the hospital, the consensus among media members is that the injury will not be career-threatening. That may prove true, but it’s too soon to know how much Pierre-Paul will be affected by his injury.

While Pierre-Paul may have avoided a traumatic amputation of his fingers or hand, burns to the palm and fingers – especially those necessitating a multiple day hospitalization – can be devastating to hand function.

Burns and explosive injuries to the hand are troublesome for lots of reasons.

Why Pierre-Paul's injury is significant despite no loss of fingers

The muscles, tendons, nerves, and joint capsules of the hand are protected by a layer of skin but not much else. Any loss of skin and flesh exposes those structures, all of which are specific and critical to control the fine motor function of each finger and hand. The blast and burn injury to Pierre-Paul’s fingers and palm may have irreparably damaged any of those structures or fully exposed them.

It’s no surprise that Pierre-Paul remains in the hospital four days after his injury. Fireworks injuries are rarely clean, stitch, and splint situations. The wounds have to be carefully debrided – that is, cleaning out any debris and removing tissue that hasn’t or will not survive the injury. Often, these wounds must be debrided more than once. The medical team has to monitor the injury closely for signs of infection and for swelling which can cut off blood supply to healthy tissue.

Skin grafting or moving flaps of skin over the open wounds is done as early as possible, but cannot be done until the wound is free from any dead tissue or infection. The sooner skin grafting is done, the better, but surgeons have to be certain the area is ready to accept the graft.

Grafts heal remarkably quickly. They often regenerate blood supply within seven days. But successful grafting is only the first phase of healing. Injuries like Pierre-Paul’s often shrink or contract in time as the wounds scar. Such contractures and scarring are particularly tough around the palm. But any contractures around the joints of the fingers will affect the ultimate function of the hand. Splinting, special gloves, and early physical therapy may limit the extent of the scarring, but are unlikely to prevent it entirely.

Without knowing the severity of Pierre-Paul’s injury, it’s hard to know how extensive his treatment has been. But four days in the hospital – and his unwillingness to allow the team to see the full extent of his injury with an ongoing contract situation – is telling. And Jason Cole of Bleacher Report reported two days after the injury that Pierre-Paul would need skin grafts.

Can Pierre-Paul recover?

While it’s entirely my own speculation, it seems likely that Pierre-Paul’s injury was bad enough to require debridement and grafting. At minimum, such an injury will require multiple weeks of recovery, splinting, and rehab. There’s very little chance he’ll be ready until the later stages of training camp. Cole also reported the Giants are considering putting Pierre-Paul on the NFI list, which would keep him out of action for at least six weeks of the regular season.

Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee Pierre-Paul will be recover to near baseline function. Though I saw multiple tweets suggesting hand injuries weren’t as devastating to pass rushers as skill position players, don’t minimize the importance of hand use to a defensive end. Engaging the offensive line, shedding blocks, and ripping and swimming in pass rush all require strong and flexible hands. There's a good argument that strong, heavy hands are as important as an explosive first step for a pass rusher.

Pierre-Paul may recover well enough to handle those tasks – or play with a splint fashioned to allow him to do so. Hopefully, he’ll recover quickly and fully, but there’s likely still a long road ahead.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Father of Buccaneers' C.J. Wilson says son lost 2 fingers in fireworks mishap
Adam Caplan, ESPN Insider
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson lost two fingers in a fireworks accident last weekend, his father told a Charlotte television station.
Wilson's agent, Joel Turner, declined to discuss specifics of the injury and referred all further questions about Wilson's situation to the Buccaneers, but a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder that the injury was "significant."
Curtis Wilson Sr., appearing on Charlotte's WBTV, said the fireworks did not pop out of the canister when they exploded.
The Lincoln Times-News in Wilson's hometown of Lincolnton, North Carolina, reported that Wilson lost two fingers in the incident. The newspaper cited sources close to the family who said the incident occurred at Wilson's home in Lincolnton, where family members and friends were present.
"We are aware that C.J. was involved in an accident that occurred over the July 4th holiday," the team said in a statement. "It is our understanding that the injury occurred to one of his hands, and our primary concern at this moment is for his long-term health. We have been in contact with C.J. and are continuing to monitor the situation."

turns out JPP wasn't the only NFL player being an idiot with fireworks

Probably? How is it even probably? Schefter gonna get his ass sued.

Probably? How is it even probably? Schefter gonna get his ass sued.

HIPAA doesn't apply to reporters, freedom of press issues probably have a lot to do with that. I also have no idea who his source is, if it can be traced back to JPP giving it to someone then I don't think there's an issue at all. In what I think is the much more likely event that it came from the hospital then there's definitely a problem, but it's still not with Schefter.

The more I think about it the more I think the medical chart came from JPP, though the hospital has said they're looking into it so I guess nothing can be ruled out. The way I look at it, I wouldn't be surprised if JPP or his agent or somebody he's listening to decided it'd be best to get accurate information out there, which makes sense. The other variable here is the fact that it came from Schefter, I feel like he has a little more integrity than to go looking for this. The only other way this came from the hospital is some rogue employee and if this was someone from the hospital leaking it then what do they get out of it? Nothing unless they're selling it. I have to think ESPN is above that if only because they don't have to resort to that. If this had been posted by someone like TMZ then yeah, I would think it'd have come from the hospital, but based on the fact that it came from Schefter I'm a little less inclined to believe that.

Have you guys seen his friend's hand? Its :puke:

The Giants are the most patient team ever.

Giants owner John Mara has "no idea" when unsigned franchise player Jason Pierre-Paul will report to training camp.

"I don’t think JPP is receiving good advice right now,’" Mara said. "He has told people that he’s fine and going to be ready to play, but until we see the hand, we’re just not sure. We obviously have to see him first and determine whether or not he’s capable of playing." Pierre-Paul was given a 6-8 week timetable, but has still yet to meet with team officials. The Giants could rescind JPP’s franchise offer or restructure his contract depending on how he checks out. Pierre-Paul is a candidate to open the season on the active/NFI list.

Have you guys seen his friend's hand? Its :puke:

Now I did.

11717096_10153967996443056_1638498613_n.