Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Will Smith is going to be the downfall of the NFL

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports owners spent "significant time" at their May meetings discussing how to "deal with and respond to" the December release of the movie Concussion.

Starring Will Smith, Concussion will be released on Christmas. According to its IMDB.com synopsis, Concussion is "a look at how American football players suffer from major head injuries and life-long debilitating problems as a result of repeated concussions and efforts by the NFL to deny it." The film certainly sounds like it has the ability to be a headache for the league.

I got mixed feelings about this. On one hand I feel the NFL is truly untouchable, and with the way things work today, people will only truly care for about a week or so... Plus it's coming out when Star Wars is coming out. No competing with that. Lol.

On the other hand, this is a movie with Will Smith, and I don't know what route they are gonna take wit this.

Although, at first I thought this was the NFL's Will Smith. That would of been more interesting...

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2

Yeah idk either. You make a good point about it coming out the same time as Star Wars. Of course it won't compete with Star Wars in the box office, but I think it'll make the news. I think the NFL will be forced to address it and with Junior Seau going into the hall this year they're going to have to address it in a couple weeks anyway. There's already a lot of people who won't let their kids play football (LeBron James being one of them).

I think the NFL will try to control the narrative by featuring the movie on pre-game shows and bringing in ex players to talk about the concussion issue. They're going to do a lot to talk about new technology as far as helmets and equipment goes and the changes they've made with the rules. They'll talk about the competition committee and they'll talk about how they're trying to support ex players and their families(which they're not doing enough in that area especially for guys who played 30 years ago and didn't make that much money).I really don't think this will hurt business. People love football and one movie is not going to change that.