Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Chris Carter urges NFL rookies to "get a fall guy".

A recent ESPN feature on former 49ers linebacker Chris Borland described Borland as “appalled” by what he heard at the 2014 Rookie Symposium, when a former NFL player told the rookies that they should have a “fall guy” in their crew who would take the blame if they faced legal trouble. What ESPN failed to mention is that the former player who gave that appalling advice was an ESPN employee, Cris Carter.

Although the ESPN feature says that Borland “declined to name” the player, the writers easily could have identified Carter as the source of the comments, because the video of Carter’s presentation at the Rookie Symposium is available at NFL.com.

The presentation went basically how Borland described it in the ESPN feature: Carter told rookies that they should have one friend who will be willing to take the blame if they ever get into trouble. Warren Sapp, onstage along with Carter, agreed.

“If you all got a crew, you got to have a fall guy in the crew,” Carter said. “If you all have a crew, one of those fools got to know, he’s the one going to jail. We’ll get him out.”

Sapp then repeated, “We’ll get him out.”

Those comments didn’t sit well with Borland, and they likely won’t sit well with most people hearing them now. But the NFL apparently didn’t have a problem with what Carter said: His presentation was posted on the league’s own website, and Carter was invited back to speak at this year’s Rookie Symposium.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/23/cris-carter-urged-nfl-rookies-to-have-a-fall-guy/

Couldn't be two better guys.

There was a video but the NFL has destroyed it.

I guess Warren didn't have a crew.

I guess Warren didn't have a crew.

He actually did. Just not after he retired.

• Upvote 2

All this does is perpetuate the notion that NFL players should think of themselves as above the law. :coffee:

• Upvote 1

All this does is perpetuate the notion that NFL players should think of themselves as above the law. :coffee:

They might be, but their friends aren't. :smug:

• Upvote 1

This also teaches and promotes the wrong mindset for these young men. Ways on how to get yourself out of a bad situation at the expense of someone else instead of preventative methods to improve decision making. Having someone else take the blame and public exposure for your actions is lame period. Own your own mistakes like a man. This idea is teaching these young men how not to be responsible and accountable for your own actions. Horrible mentoring. :disgust:

This is just a way of teaching a bunch of guys who have never had a lot of money how to act once they do have a lot of money lol. People who are worth millions-tens of millions of dollars don't play by the same rules as we do regardless of what their profession might be.

• Upvote 2

I think there has to be some sort of context to this, such as understanding that a lot of these guys have ties to the wrong kind of people (i.e. DeSean Jackson) and while they may choose to avoid doing illegal things, they can't guarantee that when they're social with their old crew, nothing will happen. Nevertheless, Cris Carter and Warren Sapp shouldn't be at these symposiums in the first place.

I think there has to be some sort of context to this, such as understanding that a lot of these guys have ties to the wrong kind of people (i.e. DeSean Jackson) and while they may choose to avoid doing illegal things, they can't guarantee that when they're social with their old crew, nothing will happen. Nevertheless, Cris Carter and Warren Sapp shouldn't be at these symposiums in the first place.

That is the part in teaching them to make wise decisions and not putting themselves in bad situations that could possibly jeopardize their future. That includes sketchy association. Training them to use their powers of reason and acquiring discernment.

well, those players should be advised to leave their old crew behind them, it's certainly a tough thing to do, but rather than tell players to have a scapegoat why not advise them of guilt by association? a lot of people (not just athletes) don't seem to realize that if they're hanging out with people doing stupid shit they're going to be associated with that stupid shit

Well, aside from the concept of Guilt by Association because one of the most ridiculous things on the planet, something should not exist, I do see your point.

First off, Dutch pretty much nailed it. As to the "old crews doing what they do" argument, if my old sketchy friends decide that they wanna jeopardize my one shot at a life that I've worked my ass off to earn, the first time is the last time. I've cut ties with people over the years for far less than a potential loss of my career, freedom, and millions of dollars. If it's dead weight, cut bait. That should be the message, aND not, "if you're gonna be an idiot, do it with bigger idiots." This is an accepted, if not encouraged, professional practice in a multi-billion dollar industry? Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

This is pretty much how business and governments work in America. I'm confused why anyone is repulsed by Carter's statements...he's just stating the obvious.

• Upvote 2

This is pretty much how business and governments work in America. I'm confused why anyone is repulsed by Carter's statements...he's just stating the obvious.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the rookie symposium is not the time or the place for that kind of advice. The rookie symposium is the opportunity to set the bar high even if you don't think anyone will actually reach it. If Carter had reached out to certain players on an individual basis that he knew or highly suspected wouldn't leave their crew behind and give this advice that way, I wouldn't have an issue, but to tell every rookie that they need to have a fall guy is unacceptable and the NFL needs to pick better speakers for this event.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the rookie symposium is not the time or the place for that kind of advice. The rookie symposium is the opportunity to set the bar high even if you don't think anyone will actually reach it. If Carter had reached out to certain players on an individual basis that he knew or highly suspected wouldn't leave their crew behind and give this advice that way, I wouldn't have an issue, but to tell every rookie that they need to have a fall guy is unacceptable and the NFL needs to pick better speakers for this event.

Why? The NFL is a mecca of corruption. This isn't some sacred institution of honesty and integrity.

• Upvote 1

Why? The NFL is a mecca of corruption. This isn't some sacred institution of honesty and integrity.

no, the NFL is not an institution of honesty and integrity, but that's exactly what they hold themselves out to be, which is why any time something like this comes to light it should get some attention

So we shouldn't try to change it? Government's the same way. Let's just ignore it because we can't change it, right? I used to believe this, but recent events have changed the way I look at this.

I wasn't surprised or taken aback by what was said at all. I fully expected prior to this news that stuff like this was happening. Heck, I don't even think it's bad advice. If you, as a professional athlete, are committed to people like that -- you better have options for when things go bad.

With that said, the manner in which he said it was very wrong. The fact that he is in an auditorium full of rookies... on a stage... with multiple cameras on him... all the while taking a paycheck from the NFL to do so (truthfully, this is an assumption, not totally sure how the symposium works. Maybe he just volunteered).

It just wasn't very intelligent of Cris. He should have known better and if he wants to give this advice out, do it behind closed doors and talk to guys privately.

If Carter had reached out to certain players on an individual basis that he knew or highly suspected wouldn't leave their crew behind and give this advice that way, I wouldn't have an issue,

That really doesn't change anything because it's still promoting bad decision making. Just because he'd be telling individuals rather than a group doesn't make it any less wrong.

• Upvote 2

That really doesn't change anything because it's still promoting bad decision making. Just because he'd be telling individuals rather than a group doesn't make it any less wrong.

Honestly, they are at a point in their lives where if they are going to make those bad decisions -- they are just going to do it. Cris Carter on a stage isn't going to scare them out of that lifestyle.

Honestly, they are at a point in their lives where if they are going to make those bad decisions -- they are just going to do it. Cris Carter on a stage isn't going to scare them out of that lifestyle.

So at the ripe ages of 20-23, these young me can't be reached and are already beyond the point of saving/being positively influenced?

So at the ripe ages of 20-23, these young me can't be reached and are already beyond the point of saving/being positively influenced?

Didn't say that. But expecting it to happen in an hour or whatever length that talk was and in the manner of a lecture probably isn't going to change much.