Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Creating a Safer, More Satisfying NFL

Every single year we hear about awful injuries, starting in spring workouts all the way through the preseason, injuries that not only take whole seasons away from the athletes themselves, but from the many fans who love and support them. So how do we fix this issue? Place any suggestions you can.

1. You rarely hear about these season-ending practice injuries at any other level of football, so my assumption is that there is something NFL teams do that has a hand in causing these issues. I think it's time to simplify practice a little bit.

2. 18 game season, first two games are exhibition and do not count. 4 preseason games is way too damn many, and there's way too much risk involved, at this point.

3. Get rid of hitting low in every single way. No more tackling at the knees and below. No more cut and chop blocks of any kind. Do away with this unnecessarily dangerous nonsense.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 1

I don't see how an 18-game regular season is safer. You're basically trading preseason weeks 3 and 4, where starters only play about a half, for two regular season games where starters would play the entire game.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Bware is saying 18 games including preseason. First two games are preseason and don't count. So it'd still be a 16-game regular season.

• Upvote 1

FTR, I also advocate a schedule involving 2 Bye weeks for each team, making the season longer time wise but easier on players' bodies.

FTR, I also advocate a schedule involving 2 Bye weeks for each team, making the season longer time wise but easier on players' bodies.

They tried that in 1993, but the teams felt it was too disruptive for their daily routines, so they went back to 17 the following season.

They tried that in 1993, but the teams felt it was too disruptive for their daily routines, so they went back to 17 the following season.

Now that the NFLPA has negotiated a CBA that lessens the physical toll, I bet players would be more than happy to haven that toll lessened even more.

Now that the NFLPA has negotiated a CBA that lessens the physical toll, I bet players would be more than happy to haven that toll lessened even more.

That's true. Can't see any logistical issues with doing that. Plus the TNF games would be a lot easier on the players.

A lot of the injuries taking out marquee players the past few years have been just freak non-contact injuries, like Jordy. Von's acl a few years ago was the same way. This plan could lessen injuries a lot, but shit does happen.

I do agree about lowering the number of preseason games, but definitely don't think it should be done away with entirely. So many young guys wouldn't have their jobs in the NFL without preseason games.

That's true. Can't see any logistical issues with doing that. Plus the TNF games would be a lot easier on the players.

Oh, and here's one more suggestion. A TNF Game to start the season is fine, but none again until after the Bye weeks start, and only teams coming off a Bye can play TNF games.

There is no way to prevent injuries completely, especially the majority of season-enders. You can't prevent an ACL tear from a bad landing. The best you can do is keep your starters out during majority of the preseason.

I don't know how you'd advocate not tackling below the knee without making every other play a penalty.

I think a huge part of why you see so many more injuries in the NFL than any other level is that your body just doesn't bend the same way in your upper 20s and 30s as it does when you're 19-20 and the week to week recovery isn't as complete for older bodies and I don't think less practice time is going to change that at all

• Upvote 1

There is no way to prevent injuries completely, especially the majority of season-enders. You can't prevent an ACL tear from a bad landing. The best you can do is keep your starters out during majority of the preseason.

I don't know how you'd advocate not tackling below the knee without making every other play a penalty.

Well, there's this huge area of the body between above the knee up to the shoulders that isn't very hard to hit.

I took it a little far with tackling, but I do believe that cut/chop blocks should be removed from football at every level.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Here's how you create a safer NFL:

1. Stop assuming that because the players are professionals, they know the proper fundamentals of football. Make the players keep practicing proper blocking and tackling fundamentals their entire careers. Many (most?) injuries are the direct result of poor blocking and tackling fundamentals, as well as QBs who lead their receivers into danger.

2. Require every player to wear every pad. Also require offensive and defensive linemen to wear knee braces. I don't give a damn if the knee braces or extra pads make it more difficult to move or run; players will adapt. If a player is discovered to be lacking any pads, suspend him for a game.

3. Constantly improve equipment technology, especially helmet technology. Make every player wear a four- or five-star-rated helmet, and ban poor-performing helmets like the Adams A200 Pro Elite, Riddell VSR4 and Schutt Air Advantage. Also consider placing external foam pads on the crowns of offensive and defensive linemen's helmets to absorb more low-grade concussive blows.

Listening to Mike Ditka on the radio yesterday...he said he doesn't think, he KNOWS that the lack of padded practices and hitting has lead to the increased injuries. Simply put he said "your body has to be used to getting hit" and that is what the summer is for on all levels.

• Upvote 1

I gave butta a postive rep and I actually agree with him more than anyone else in this thread....

/thread

Listening to Mike Ditka on the radio yesterday...he said he doesn't think, he KNOWS that the lack of padded practices and hitting has lead to the increased injuries. Simply put he said "your body has to be used to getting hit" and that is what the summer is for on all levels.

beyond not being used to getting hit, fewer padded practices make it really hard to train proper tackling techniques, which contributes to a lot of the contact injuries, not sure about the non-contact stuff, though I do wonder if players spend too much time in the weightroom and not enough time working on flexibility

beyond not being used to getting hit, fewer padded practices make it really hard to train proper tackling techniques, which contributes to a lot of the contact injuries, not sure about the non-contact stuff, though I do wonder if players spend too much time in the weightroom and not enough time working on flexibility

Lots of teams have moved to doing yoga on recovery days.

I think the perception is that there are a huge amount of contact injuries when in actuality the soft-tissue injuries are the ones that are skyrocketing. And really it is a result of faster and stronger athletes with more quick twitch muscles, but you are right most don't have the flexibility in their muscles to exert so much explosive moments day in and day out.

That's how I KNEW Clowney was destined for some early injuries. Reason LeBron cramps so many times. But its ALL about recovery. The ones that don't recover correctly end up getting hurt every year.

interesting clip from last night's Late Show, I understand the interest in eliminating hits, especially as we learn more about the link between repettitive small hits and concussions, and this will certainly help with that, also having something like this would be a great tool to use for teaching proper tackling form, but all I could think about while I was watching it was Butta's point about learning how to get hit and minimize the impact, which this just about eliminates

Not sure how realistic it is to eliminate tacking around the legs. You see guys get blocked into those tackles a lot. I also think watching the game on tv with slow motion replay kind of takes away some of our appreciation as to just how fast things happen on an NFL field with world class professional athletes.