Sign in to follow this  
DBR96A

Should the NFL consider lifetime bans for players who can't behave themselves?

I'm seriously starting to get sick and tired of stupid, reckless and criminal behavior by players in the NFL, and it seems that other people are too, given that the NFL has developed the same kind of "thug" reputation that the NBA had in the late 1990s and early 2000s. And the problem doesn't seem to be getting any better with time either. It makes me wonder if the NFL should just start banning players for life to get their point across. I'd say one felony would get you gone, and so would a combination of three misdemeanors and/or violations of the league conduct policy. I don't know for sure if it's a good idea, but please either tell me how I'm wrong, or let me know if you agree.

^ That. :yep:

I tend to think the market takes care of it, if you do something bad enough then teams won't bring you on, just look at Ray Rice

I'm also of the perspective that the courts will handle making sure you pay your debt to society, it doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, compounded by your employer. If you want a perfect example look at Pacman Jones (I never thought I'd refer to him as any kind of example of anything remotely positive, but here I go) The guy fucked up big time, if ever there was a case for a lifetime ban he would have checked all of the boxes, he got a one year suspension then worked his way back, now he's proving to be a solid corner for the Bengals and appears to be better for the experience. This is not to say that his is a recommended route at all, only that there is always reason to give someone another shot.

I get why they have rookie symposiums. Young men and money and freedom get out of control. They don't know how to act or handle with all that money. It's I'm a big deal now and I have money.

Have it were if you are arrested 3 times , you are banned for a year or 2. The non felony arrests is what I mean. The small shit.

For someone like Josh Gordon, if he gets suspended again, I think it should be for good. 3 strike law. If you have been suspended 3x you should be banned from sports period.

Why? If somebody messes up so much that nobody wants him, nobody will take him regardless of talent.

The NFL has always had issues with the law so it's not like this is anything new. Even with harsher punishments people are still doing dumb stuff, dumb people will do dumb things eventually regardless of repercussions....

• Upvote 1

For felonies, yes.

But it does need to de-criminalize weed. The weed suspensions hurt the NFL's product. Not having Josh Gordon in uniform sucks balls. That dude is awesome and the league is taking him away from us over a little bud. Fuck off, Goodell.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Well in regards to weed, hopefully that will be sorted and gotten rid of once it is declassified over there.

I feel this for felony's should be a thing or at the least start coming up with serious punishments. However as DMac said dumb people will do dumb shit no matter the repercussions.

No and it won't happen because elite talent=money

it really depends on the offense. something minor like weed no. convicted felons shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL though. if it were you or me we probably couldn't even get a job at Burger King.