Sign in to follow this  
BC

Seahawks agree to terms with Fred Jackson

The Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms with free-agent running back Fred Jackson on a one-year deal, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Jackson, 34, was released Monday by the Buffalo Bills. He averaged a career-low 3.7 yards per carry last season, but his 66 catches were a career high.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was asked earlier this week what he liked about Jackson, who had scheduled a visit with the team.

"He's been a very good pass-catcher and [an] adept pass protector," Carroll said. "He's always been a good runner. He's got great feel and sense. Had a big run in the game last week (a preseason win against the Pittsburgh Steelers). Had a 40-yard run in the game last week (against the Steelers) and scored a touchdown. But he's been a very adept pass-receiver, and I think that's something that maybe he could fit in."

According to Pro Football Focus, Seahawks starter Marshawn Lynch played the sixth-most snaps of any running back in the NFL in 2014. Lynch, 29, has had 280 carries or more in four straight seasons. Jackson will probably be used to spell Lynch in obvious passing situations.

The two running backs have had a close relationship since 2007, when both broke into the NFL with the Bills. Lynch was Buffalo's first-round pick, and Jackson made the Bills' roster after spending the previous year on their practice squad.

But Carroll said that wasn't why the Seahawks had brought in Jackson to visit.

"Only in that I know that Marshawn and he are very good friends, and they get along, and that's always a good thing," Carroll said. "But other than that, that didn't feed into this."

Adding Jackson became more urgent after Robert Turbinsuffered what Carroll termed a "significant" high ankle sprain in the Seahawks' third preseason game. The Seahawks will waive Turbin, who has never missed a game in his three-year career, with an injury designation, according to multiple reports. He is expected to miss about five weeks.

In addition to Lynch and Jackson, the team probably will go into Week 1 with Christine Michael as a third option in the backfield.

Well, with Turbin biting the dust, I don't hate the move. As Pete says up there Fred Jackson brings another strong receiver. Send Lockett deep, Graham over the middle, and let Jackson and Lynch work the flats while Wilson rolls around. Somebody should be open. I'm surprised Thomas Rawls isn't a favorite to make the roster. He's shown between the tackles dominance in the preseason. I'm sure he'll get a call the second Lynch is seen with a possibility of missing any kind of time.

It's definitely a good pick up for Seattle. He's more reliable than every running back not named Lynch on their roster, and the Seahawks are obviously a very run-orientated offense, so this deal makes a whole lotta sense.

Fred Jackson seems like a really likeable dude, so it's nice to see him get a legitimate chance at winning a championship before he retires.

Anytime you can bring in a RB like Jackson with experience and versatility it's a good move.

Solid pick up by the Hawks. Freddie has always been under appreciated but has always been a great utilitarian.