Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Top 5 units

Who are the top 5 units on football including Offense, Defense, and Special Teams? State your case.

1. :Patriots: Offense - I had to go with the Patriots because they seem to be virtually unstoppable. It seems that they've gotten even better after shredding the best defense in all of football in the Superbowl last season. They are the highest scoring team in football averaging 39.7 ppg and also the most efficient team in football which results in a very deadly unit. The Patriots have a 60% 3rd down conversion rate being 21/35. The fact that they have only had to convert 35 first downs show that they are getting first downs on 1st and 2nd down a ton which explains why they are ranked #1 in first down percentage with 41%. Not only that, they are the most efficient scoring offense scoring 21/34 of their drives accounting for a whooping 61.8 scoring percentage (obliterating the runner up the Cardinals with 47.7%) when they touch the ball. The Patriots offense hands down has to be the hardest offense to prepare for because they can do everything.

2. :Packers:Offense - Here is another deadly unit in football and it is all due to the incredible Aaron Rodgers who is easily the best player in football and has what it takes to be the best and most dominating player in the history of the game imo. The Packers are leading the league in the most big plays in the league (without their elite WR mind you) with 29 counting runs over 10 yards (18) and passes over 25 yards (11). The Packers are 3rd in the league in scoring efficiency scoring 20/42 drives for a 47.6%.

The thing is though, Rodgers is so hard to defend and his impact on the offensive side of the ball is unlike ANY other player. There are so many unquantifiable factors in play when you are talking about Rodgers and the way he impacts the game. He can do everything and anything that you want your QB to do. His awareness is 2nd to none moving around in the pocket putting his mobile prowess on display while avoiding the pass rush and his ability to keep his eyes down the field to make the great play. His throwing on the run ability is remarkable. No QB in the league can do what he can do. It's truly unfair. Tom Brady is an all time great and you can count on him in big moments and he can make any throw you need him to make. But as to where Brady can make the great throws along with his system creating and opening up plays (which no one can deny Belichick's genius and impact in exploitation in the match up game), Rodgers creates and opens up plays unrelated to the scheme of the play. I've seen him do it countless times scrambling around when the receivers weren't open and then throwing them open. You can't scheme for that. That's called doing what you want with the game. I truly believe he will be the GOAT and I hope he wins a few more rings.

3. :Jets:Defense - This spot was tough for me because it was either the Jets or Broncos defense. But I had to go with the Jets. The Broncos have made some incredible plays in crunch time but the Jets are just plainly the stingiest team in all of football. While the Broncos are currently leading in yards allowed (least) per game over the Jets by 4.7 yards, the Jets are ranked #1 in takeaways with 13 and #1 in least points allowed per game allowing only 13.8 ppg. While the Broncos are the best team on 3rd down only allowing a mind boggling 12/48, 25%, (Jets 18/56 32.1%) the Jets only allowed 8 scoring drives out of 49. 6 of those were TD's and only 2 FG's. So they've only allowed a mind blowing 16.3% scoring ratio against them. That's insane. While the Broncos are great in areas like sacking the QB (3rd best under Green Bay :notbad: and New England) over the Jets (whose sack numbers are substantially lower), the Jets are just overall more stingy without the pretty statistics.

4: :Broncos:Defense - See 3

5: :Bengals:Offense - Never thought I'd see an Andy Dalton Bengals offense in a top 5 of anything. But I can't deny their dominance. They have so many ways to hurt you and Dalton is playing lights out. A.J, Gio, Hill, Eifert and the list goes on. The Bengals are leading the league in yards per play with 6.98 yards per play which is a huge indicator of how their offense is shredding opposing defenses in big chunks. They are also a top 5 scoring efficient team scoring on 19/45 drives, top 5 in 3rd down conversion percentage with 22/48, 45.8% and ranked #2 in Big plays with 27 12 rushing and 15 passing being currently the most explosive passing team in the NFL. It is yet to be seen if this is the real Bengals and if they can carry it over into the post season. If they can, they are legit contenders.

Honorable Mentions:

:Falcons: Offense

:Seahawks: Defense since Kam Chancellor has been back.

Edited by Dutch

Not putting the Broncos defense number one is some serious East Coast bias Dutch. We're gonna have to throw down.

With the way the Broncos D is playing right now I wouldn't argue against them being the #1 unit in football. They've saved the game every time this year and kept it close enough to make up for noodle arm throwing piss poor balls.

Broncos defense has a MUCH stronger pass rush than the Jets and are just as strong in every other area. Personally I think it's fairly obvious that they're the best defense in football at the moment.

In fact...

1. Broncos defense: Do they even have a weakness? Very good football players at every level. They have the personnel to adjust to any offense and are headed up by one of the best coordinators in the game.

2. Patriots offense: Tom Brady is playing with a chip on his shoulder, Gronkowski is unstoppable and they have a ton of guys to eat up yac.

3. Packers offense: Aaron Rodgers. Does it even matter who plays WR? Give this guy a running game with Eddie Lacy and it almost becomes unfair.

4. Steelers offense (with Ben): And he will be back. I don't see many weaknesses here. They have a ton of weapons in the pass game including the beat WR in the league and just maybe the beat RB in the game.

5. Bills defense: Very good defensive front, nice secondary pieces and Rex Ryan running the show.

I can't wait to see Pats offense vs. Broncos defense in the playoffs.