Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

One More Case of the Improperly Applied "Calvin Johnson Rule"

https://vine.co/v/e09mWimM3qZ

This is a touchdown by NFL rules. Freeman caught the ball, landed, and extended it with control, over the goal line, effectively ending the play. It was ruled incomplete due to the infamous and often improperly applied Calvin Johnson rule. Tyler Eifert was also the victim of improper application of the rule earlier this season.

If you catch the ball prior to reaching the goal line, exhibit complete control of it and extend it over the goal line, the play ends. It is a touchdown. The rule makes sense for plays where catches are made in the end zone, but on plays such as Freeman's and Eifert's, it is not applicable.

If this isn't a touchdown, Joseph Randle's touchdown shouldn't have counted against New Orleans last week, either.

Why is the NFL so adamant about enforcing a rule that is interpreted differently be each official? It makes no sense.

This is going to be a problem in a big game scenario if they don't fix it and find a way to consistently apply it.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

in case anyone wants to see more than 6 seconds (and the part where the ball actually comes loose)

FTR, I think this one was a catch (while I agree with the Dez Bryant call) here he secured the ball and took two steps and turned, compare that to the Dez play where he stumbled and his momentum carried him forward and down, they're similar, but different enough

See, the problem is that he caught it before the goal line and then made a move to cross the goal line. This is a touchdown. Bill Vinovich, who is probably one the best refs in the game, disappointed me with this call. It's just flat out wrong.

Call it a non catch if he catches it while falling into the end zone. Don't call it a non catch when he caught and made a move to get into the end zone and crossed the goal line with complete control of the ball.

• Upvote 1

I actually agree with that call completely in the context of the rule. I am not saying the rule is right, but if it is the rule and it is after watching Dez last year .... The right call was made. Yes it seems easy to say that he caught the ball and made the effort to the end zone. But he's getting tackled as he catches the ball. He never really makes his own move and is immediately going to the ground as he is moving / being tackled forward. To me, it's very clear that he needed to hold onto the ball. He didn't. Easy and correct call.

I actually agree with that call completely in the context of the rule. I am not saying the rule is right, but if it is the rule and it is after watching Dez last year .... The right call was made. Yes it seems easy to say that he caught the ball and made the effort to the end zone. But he's getting tackled as he catches the ball. He never really makes his own move and is immediately going to the ground as he is moving / being tackled forward. To me, it's very clear that he needed to hold onto the ball. He didn't. Easy and correct call.

Dez Bryant's didnt catch the ball he made 2 steps then dove. you need to make 3 steps to establish your self has a runner, he made 2 and decide to dive for the touchdown and then when he hit the ground ball pops lose thats a incomplete catch. just like if he took 2 steps and someone hit him then he drops it its incomplete..

there was no reason to make that rule more clear. you have to establish yourself has a runner which he didnt..

now Calvin "Megatron" Johnson's rule was a bullshit rule in the 1st place. Calvin was down on his back in the endzone full control , then rolled over to stand up and put the ball on the ground.. now that "was" a touchdown..

in all honesty tho, this rule really comes down to one thing: if you're catching the ball, secure the ball, can anyone really disagree with that premise?

Not really but when you extend a controlled ball over the goal line the play is over.

The rule has a place but taking away clear catches shouldn't be part of it.

Not really but when you extend a controlled ball over the goal line the play is over.

The rule has a place but taking away clear catches shouldn't be part of it.

Except... They aren't catches.

Dallas fans are such whiners lol. Even if Dez caught it and scored Rodgers would have drove down the field and won the game. :yao:

Except... They aren't catches.

Yes they are. The rule needs to go. In the context of "this is how you catch a football" they are and should be catches when players make a move to cross the goal line. I get it when they're falling to the ground in the endzone. I get it when they're falling OoB. I get it when they're immediately falling with no chance to establish themselves, but for these players who make physical moves after securing the ball to reach over the goal line, that is a goddamn touchdown.

Edited by BwareDWare94

He was running with the ball. When a runner breaks the plane of the goaline it is a touchdown.

As it turns out, it helped the Falcons. If that call is made correctly, as a TD, then the Redskins have :51 seconds and given how easily they moved the ball, they could have scored a TD themselves to win the game, lol.

Absolutely zero question that is a catch, and then the WR becomes a runner, extends the ball, breaks the plane. Regardless of what happens next, the play is over, it is a TD for the Falcons. NFL is idiotic if they think that isn't a catch.

He was running with the ball. When a runner breaks the plane of the goaline it is a touchdown.

As it turns out, it helped the Falcons. If that call is made correctly, as a TD, then the Redskins have :51 seconds and given how easily they moved the ball, they could have scored a TD themselves to win the game, lol.

Absolutely zero question that is a catch, and then the WR becomes a runner, extends the ball, breaks the plane. Regardless of what happens next, the play is over, it is a TD for the Falcons. NFL is idiotic if they think that isn't a catch.

When you are going to the ground, you have to maintain control whether you are about to cross the plane, crossing the plane, or have already crossed the plane. Dude dropped it. Catch it next time and it won't be a problem.

• Downvote 2

Dez didn't cross the plane. Devonta did.

Obviously your heart wants to say it's a catch, but it's not hard to realize why that is not a catch with the current rules that are in place. Secure that shit, and it won't be a problem.

Dez didn't cross the plane. Devonta did.

Yes, and this shows consistency in the rule. Calvin Johnson was has already crossed the plane before he dropped the ball. Dez Bryant was really close to crossing the plane before he dropped the ball. Devonta Freeman crossed the plane and then dropped it.

Again, I am not voicing support for the rule necessarily. But the way the rule is, it was called correctly without a doubt.

No, it wasn't. The rule is idiotic in the first place, mind you, but even with the rule, he established as a runner, then extended the ball. As a runner all you have to do is break the plane. He broke the plane. Touchdown. End of discussion.

Freeman only took steps forward as runner after he began falling to the ground. You must complete the process of the catch when going to the ground, and being that the ball comes loose after hitting the ground, it is incomplete.

Your "he crossed the plane" statement is based on false statements of fact and therefore is completely irrelevant.

https://vine.co/v/e09mWimM3qZ

He catches the ball in mid-air at the 4 yard line. His first foot comes down at the 2. His second at the 1 and a half. He lunges forward, pushing off the ground and away from the grasp of the defender, extending his arms and placing the football- which he has complete and total control over- across the goaline. Touchdown, Falcons.

As soon as the ball crosses the goaline, the play is dead, it is a touchdown. What happens afterward is irrelevant.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. Thank you. He doesn't make a football move common to the game / establishes control before he gets tackled and starts going towards the ground. He gets hit before he touches the ground. That's all you need to know. From that point forward, it doesn't matter that he crosses the plane. He is going to the ground and must maintain control throughout the process. Incomplete.

You know, it really is a miracle that the NFL is fairly well-officiated considering all the dumb rules that are open to interpretation. Basketball refs struggle with block/charge while NFL refs have about ten rules that could be considered the block/charge of football.

Exactly. Thank you. He doesn't make a football move common to the game / establishes control before he gets tackled and starts going towards the ground. He gets hit before he touches the ground. That's all you need to know. From that point forward, it doesn't matter that he crosses the plane. He is going to the ground and must maintain control throughout the process. Incomplete.

He does make a football move- not that that is required any longer- by getting two feet on the ground and clearly lunging towards the endzone. He isn't tackled to the ground as much as he lunges towards the endzone.

If a player jumps up, and is getting tackled before he hits the ground, and he lets go of the ball... It's a drop, not a fumble.

By the wording of Rule 3, Section 2, Article 7, Item 2, which requires a receiver to "clearly become a runner" in order to make a legal catch, Freeman hadn't yet established possession when the ball crossed the goal line.

It doesn't take a football expert to sit here each week and diagram the differences between these plays. You have no justified reason to throw up your hands and claim you don't know what a catch is, or that the NFL can't decide how to define one. Independent of whether it makes sense, the call has been made consistently this year.

He clearly became a runner. I read that same article and the dude was watching the wrong play or something. Not that his opinion is worth any more than yours or mine.

How many steps do they need to take? How many yards do they need to run? 4 yards with the ball in his hands isn't enough? What is? 10?

Freeman was a runner and with the ball in full control he extended it and broke the plane of the goalline. It's an asinine rule and that was a touchdown even by it.

He didn't take any steps before he began going to the ground. If you think he did maybe you we the one watching the wrong play. Ha. We'll just have to agree to disagree here. The rule is being properly enforced as I see it and don't really expect much to change. If they were to change it, these plays become fumbles and all of a sudden people are throwing fits because the plays are incompletions and the defense shouldn't be getting possession.