Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Titans hire Mularkey as full time HC

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — When Mike Mularkey stepped in as interim coach of the Titans back in November, he wanted to prove himself worthy of being the team’s permanent coach moving forward.

Mularkey’s work during the final two months of the 2015 season – and his interview on Friday – convinced the team’s ownership group he’s the right man for the job.

The Titans on Saturday hired Mularkey as the team’s permanent head coach. He was selected after three other candidates were interviewed for the position late in the week.

“The vision Mike presented for our football team during this search as well as the character, integrity, and leadership skills he displayed during the last two months of the season makes him the right coach for the Tennessee Titans,” said Titans Controlling Owner and Co-Chairman of the Board of Directors Amy Adams Strunk. “Mike is a quality coach and an outstanding person who will help us build this team the right way. He has experience as a head coach and a track record for developing young quarterbacks and dynamic offenses, and he also brings continuity for our franchise quarterback. We understand this may take time as we rebuild the roster and bring in new coaches for Mike’s staff, but we believe he has the experience and expertise to build a consistent winner.”

Source

What a fucking joke. I'm done. I'm not investing time and money in to a team that clearly does not give a single fuck about winning.

• Upvote 1

Source

What a fucking joke. I'm done. I'm not investing time and money in to a team that clearly does not give a single fuck about winning.

Been a minute since I popped on by, but I share these feelings as well. We just got slapped in the fucking face. They didn't even TRY to look like they were interested in making an upgrade. The Titans are going to be right in this position again in a year or two. SMFH.

He is an quality coach?!!!! Mularkey slipping her the D, FOH

I bet that front office and Mularkey has had a massive orgy.

I think when he said I will bring a D to the team, I guess he meant to Amy.

On some real shit, this bullshit. I hope ticket sales DROP big time

• Upvote 1

Oh Titans... You have made maybe the worst decision you could have. As I mentioned previously though, you get some good coordinators and keep the talent rolling in.... Bad head coaching can overcome. Mularkey just needs to surround himself with people smarter than him.

Oh Titans... You have made maybe the worst decision you could have. As I mentioned previously though, you get some good coordinators and keep the talent rolling in.... Bad head coaching can overcome. Mularkey just needs to surround himself with people smarter than him.

Go LA!

They keep saying they're not selling the team but they're making moves like they might be... :think:

I wish they would. Would be one time I'd appreciate Goodell's intervention.

Edited by Tennessee Tyrant

I feel sorry for Titans fans on this. I mean, you have an attractive opening with promise of a potential franchise QB and the 1st overall pick this year to add another potential star player and they don't even attempt to interview any out of house candidates for the job and just let Mike Mularkey keep the gig. The dude was just 2-7 as your interim and has a 18-39 record all time. Maybe they want to keep stability in the organization but if that were the case they were just better off not firing Whisenhunt in the middle of the season. Not saying he was good, but the entire staff failed that team and they want to keep the band together? I don't get it, they should've at least looked at their options because they have an opportunity to build a good team.

I feel sorry for Titans fans on this. I mean, you have an attractive opening with promise of a potential franchise QB and the 1st overall pick this year to add another potential star player and they don't even attempt to interview any out of house candidates for the job and just let Mike Mularkey keep the gig. The dude was just 2-7 as your interim and has a 18-39 record all time. Maybe they want to keep stability in the organization but if that were the case they were just better off not firing Whisenhunt in the middle of the season. Not saying he was good, but the entire staff failed that team and they want to keep the band together? I don't get it, they should've at least looked at their options because they have an opportunity to build a good team.

Our franchise is snake-bit as long as it is in the hands of the Adams family. It was absolutely comical how when this search got underway that it was said we had a candidate list of 155 individuals. LOL. It was always going to be Mularkey from the start and they knew it. It makes things all the worse when the front office has to make these announcements all shady like during the middle of a playoff game to try to make the announcement as unnoticeable as they could. That alone should tell everyone that they know they made a shitty decision. Uninspired, incompetent ownership at its absolute finest.

I was actually getting scared of the Titans being a team on the rise for a second there. :yao:

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 1

If they do sell, thank god. Either that's the case or Strunk really does not know what she is doing. I understand Murlarkey is a players guy. That's grrat but keep him at a position coach.

It's going take another couple of years of us underachieving for them to go, ok your fired, we fucked up. Honestly, I swear if I won the Powerball I would of either bought the franchise or hired someone to kill Strunk lol

Inside Football: If Adams family isn't selling Titans, what is it doing?

If the Tennessee Titans are serious about the 2016 NFL season, they have a funny way of showing it.

A circuitous and long general manager search, devoid of most "A-List" candidates, was a means to an end, with the Adams family selecting a young general manger, Jon Robinson, who might be a fine choice and has a strong pedigree. But let's be honest, this was the Adams family reaching the one conclusion they wanted all along: To go on the cheap. The same goes for promoting Mike Mularkey by stripping him of his interim title.

It seems like moving from the second-overall pick in 2015 to the first overall pick in the upcoming 2016 draft wasn't enough for them. They want to corner the 2017 draft market as well. Of course, by then, most believe the heirs of Bud Adams will be out of the building, with the football world taking these latest decisions as yet another sign this team ain't long for that family. And it won't play well on Park Avenue, where not much has with this team lately. There are going to be some awkward conversations ahead at the spring league meeting, when there will be some explaining to do. Cases in point: In a five-day span, Titans ownership opted to skip a league meeting in Houston, where managing partner Amy Adams Strunk lives, then announced Mularkey's ascent during a playoff game. Are the Titans they going out of their way to draw ire?

There are too many worthwhile candidates to take over this franchise long-term for this to play out beyond this year. And with the Los Angeles conundrum nearly sorted out, there will be plenty of league officials turning even more attention to this Titans situation in the coming months. It will become more of a front-burner issue.

As for the coaching decision itself, if you were expected an inspired hire or even an engaged one, well, think again. This was always Mularkey's job to lose and, frankly, I'm not sure what he would have had to do to lose it, though his extended stint as interim head coach did almost nothing to win it. The Titans fired Ken Whisenhunt in the middle of the season to ostensibly better protect potential franchise quarterback Marcus Mariota, I suppose. But they end up throwing together a few interviews with two of the usual suspects (Teryl Austin and Doug Marrone), as well as a defensive coordinator in Ray Horton who has barely kept his job there in Tennessee, and then called it a day. It didn't take long for Horton to see through the ruse and begin his exodus.

Mike Mularkey is just 18-39 as a head coach.

Say what you want about Chip Kelly, and he was clearly hardly anyone's cup of tea among owners this time around, but the Titans could've at least feigned interest in Mariota's college coach to you know, maybe glean a few ideas and learn something about the prized asset. It can't hurt to sniff around some. Of course, by the time they got around to talking to coaches in their faux search, even Kelly had been hired by the one team that spoke to him -- San Francisco.

As for Mularkey, well, no one thought he'd get another shot as a head coach, ever. Not even him. He is 18-39 as a head coach (.316 winning percentage!), over four NFL seasons and after going 9-7 with the Bills in 2004, he is 9-32 since. I don't even want to do the math on that one. With the roster and infrastructure around him, he may be lucky to duplicate the two wins he produced in nine games this season over the course of the 2016 campaign. If he makes it through it. Even in the horrible AFC South, this was a bad, bad football team, and with the Colts likely at least better next season, the division might finally improve some.

In a year in which no coaching hire has been really trumpeted, and in which the pool of candidates has been shallow overall, this process was more akin to stumbling in the baby pool. I'm not sure the water in Tennessee got above the ankle. It's barely yawn inspiring, much less awe inspiring, but with this bunch it is entirely not surprising. Many of us told you for weeks it was coming. Sadly, we were right.

If there is anyone in America who does not believe the Titans will be having another coaching search next year, raise your hand. The only real question is whether the Adams family will still be around to oversee it.

:ugh:

I think it tells you all you need to know about this process that with six other head coaching vacancies we didn't interview a single candidate who was interviewed by another team

• Upvote 1

Titan's had their press conference today. I wish someone could have punched Underwood in the damn nuts.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/689196876260704257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

if we can land Grimm as oline coach that'll go a long way toward me forgiving the half-assed HC search, definitely won't get there, but it would address what's been our biggest issue since Munchak took over as HC

also sounds like Mularkey is optimistic about keeping LeBeau

Edited by oochymp

Browns hired Ray Horton as defensive coordinator.

He'll join an overhauled Cleveland staff that now includes head coach and offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, running backs coach Kirby Wilson and assistants Pep Hamilton and Al Saunders. Horton's return to the Browns had been widely speculated and now it's finally come to fruition. There's work to be done in Cleveland as the Browns allowed the sixth-most yards in the NFL in 2015. The Browns were especially bad against the run, ranking 30th out of 32 teams in that department.

also sounds like Mularkey is optimistic about keeping LeBeau

It looks like DLB is staying with us. Says he loves it in Tennessee and confirmed that he did talk to some others, but wanted to stay here if Mularkey wanted to keep him. I think I've finally come off the ledge, but I'm still pissed at the organization and their shadiness. lol

Titans president and CEO Steve Underwood admitted there are "issues" with the team's ownership structure, but he denied the league is trying to force a sale.

"The league has never once indicated to us that they are attempting to force the sale," Underwood said. "I’ve never heard those words used. I think they’re continuing to work with us on trying to resolve the ownership issues, and in the meantime, none of those things are affecting the operation of the club." Underwood refused to divulge the specific issues in the ownership structure but said the team is working with the league to fix them. Pro Football Talk reported the lingering issues could lead to litigation between the Titans and the NFL, who would push for a sale if the issues cannot be resolved. The uncertain situation could explain why Tennessee decided to stick with Mike Mularkey at head coach instead of committing to a long-term deal with someone from outside the organization.

Dick LeBeau thrilled to remain with Tennessee Titans - Tennessee Titans Blog- ESPN

“I have respect for Mike,” LeBeau said. “We worked together in Pittsburgh, and he’s an excellent coach. But I also like our players, the way they work, the way they fought through a tough situation last year.
“I was never going anywhere but here, if they’d have me.”

not surprised, it sounded like a big part of his reason for coming to Tennessee was geographic, but I think a lot of it was Whizenhunt too, either way I'm glad he's sticking around, hopefully Robinson can get him some better players