Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Gronk's take on the Pro Bowl

Rob Gronkowski, at Super Bowl, explains why he passed on Pro Bowl - New England Patriots Blog- ESPN

"It's just the way it worked out. I didn't talk to anyone about it," he said of no Patriots attending. "I mean, that game might need to be changed. You can't go the whole season, AFC Championship Game, giving it all you've got and thinking you're going to hop on a flight to fly 12 hours to Hawaii that next Tuesday, when I still can't even walk because I took like 20 hits that game. I was not hopping on that plane and just be more tight, more sore when I got off, and just be miserable the whole ride. If it was changed ... I totally understand if you don't go to the playoffs, you got a few weeks off, the Pro Bowl is awesome. But it's hard to go from that game, giving it all you got in the playoffs, to go right to the Pro Bowl. You got to have your body rest, man."

interesting to read, and one more reason to think it was stupid to move the Pro Bowl to an earlier date, which makes me think: would it make sense to move it the other direction and hold the game in mid to late February? Give players time to recover, more fans might watch it as they're starting to miss their football Sundays, and I don't think that'd be late enough to interfere with coaches' responsibilities as far as the draft, might be a bad idea, but I think we all know something needs to change with the Pro Bowl, any other thoughts?

I totally agree with the premise that it should be later on because of the fact that fans may start missing football a little bit. TO this day, I have no idea why the NFL moved the Pro Bowl up. Horrendous decision, and really the only thing I can think of is that they wanted to kill it faster.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure the NHL all-star tourney got a million times more talked about than the Pro Bowl this year. So if the NFL really does care, changes should be coming.

I'm pretty sure the NHL all-star tourney got a million times more talked about than the Pro Bowl this year. So if the NFL really does care, changes should be coming.

The only thing that truly matters is the ratings, and the Pro Bowl had the 2nd highest rating that Sunday with a 2.8. The NHL All-Star game was a 0.6. (Basically on par with your typical Law & Order re-runs)

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/02/sunday-cable-ratings-jan-31-2016/

I don't think many players would attend if it's held weeks after the Super Bowl.

I'm sure many guys use that time to go on long vacations.

There's no need for a Pro Bowl...

Announce the AP teams and be done with it. Players don't wanna play. Nobody wants to watch. End it now.

• Upvote 2

earlier this week Mike & Mike were talking about ways to change the pro bowl, one suggestion was running the game as a 7 on 7, which seems like a good way to admit it's not a real game and might get more people to embrace the excitement, but it begs the question of what to do with the linemen, I'd suggest letting the linemen have their own game in 5 on 5, could be fun to see what they could do:

also, I'm still on board with replacing the game with a skills competition or taking the game abroad, the guys like Gronk who get voted in every year might go more often with a change of scenery and I bet you'd get a lot of international cities interested in hosting

Get rid of it entirely or have a 3 week midseason break and have it in the second week. Give each team 2 whole weeks off from games with preparation for the second half of the season starting that third week. I don't like the idea of 3 weeks of no football but the Pro Bowl isn't football anyway, and major injuries are not prevalent enough in the game to worry about putting it midseason. If the game must be had, put a midseason break and have it played then.